VMware Cloud Community
Clem42
Contributor
Contributor

Error Convert Virtual Machine

Hello,

I have 6 VM from my client to convert in vSphere. I Always have the same error message :

FAILED: An error occured durint the conversion: 'The operation expericenced a network error'

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey @Clem42,

I presume you are talking about P2V or V2V using VMware Converter Standalone. That error you are facing is related to a needed connection not working.

Could you please explain us from where are you trying to convert to virtual machine and attach here the output of the converter.log? The next KB shows you how to get the logs and I am confident that the connectivity that is failing is right there explicitely: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1010633

0 Kudos
Clem42
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Lalegre,

Yes i am trying a V2V with VMware vCenter Converter Standalone V6.2.0. My Customer told me that they were backups with VEEAM. The files are the same as for a machine created in VMware Workstation. I export logs but i can't attach here. ZIP files are not allowed...

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to Converter Standalone Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Clem42 

I am not sure what do you mean by Veeam Backup Files as they have nothing to do with the V2V unless you are doing a backup and then wanting to restore.

You can search into the %Program Data% folder for the converter last log of when you tried to do the conversion. However as you are trying to convert from VMware Workstation you need to select the .vmx from where all the files of the VM are stored and make sure that these ports are open:

Lalegre_0-1604852905905.png

Without those ports you will definitely have some errors so before trying the conversion again, install telnet or curl in the Converter Server and try to reach those servers on those ports.

0 Kudos
Clem42
Contributor
Contributor

I attach the 1/3 logs files . I have already make conversion to this vcenter from the same machine without any problem.

0 Kudos
Clem42
Contributor
Contributor

2 / 3

0 Kudos
Clem42
Contributor
Contributor

3 / 3

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you are facing this issue with 6 VMs and you already did conversions from this Workstation, what changed in the middle? What these VMs has differently than the others?

Maybe you can try the source machine before moving everything. I checked into the log and there are some Fault errors but nothing conclusive and the converter-agent.log does not have the time stamp when the error was triggered during the 07-11-2020.

Do you have any logs from that day?

0 Kudos
Clem42
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing has changed. These VMs come from a new Customer which which as a hyper-converged infrastructure. The other Customer had 2 independent esx with local storage.

I tried to start the vm directly from vmware Workstation and it worked...

I sent you the 3 files indicated in the attached image. Are there any other files that you might find helpful ?

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Wait I am getting confused, let's be clear. The V2V is from vSphere to vSphere or from Workstation to vSphere?

Which are the OS that you are trying to do V2V? Are the source VMs powered on or off?

0 Kudos