VMware Cloud Community
Spiker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Enterprise converter tool completes image but when loaded gives inaccessable boot device error and blue screen

Hi guys and girls - would really appreciate some pointers to my issue with enterprise converter

I have successfully P to V'd a number of XP desktops to Workstation images - all ok

I am trying to take an image of a Windows XP machine on a Dell D820 its about 30gb and I choose to allocate all the space now for better performance

The conversion completes successfully ( 3rd time I have done this)

Each time - upon trying to load the image within Workstation where the image is sent to, it gives an inaccessable boot device and a blue screen and I have no idea why

Any suggestions ?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
mkagzi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you attach a screen shot of the blue screen?

0 Kudos
Spiker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Image upload failed

Text reads

A problem was detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage

If this is the first time la la la etc restart etc

Check for viruses on the computer - la la run chkdsk /F etc

Techincal information

***STOP 0x0000007B ( 0xF88BE524,0x0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I have tried loading the machine using ERD commander and that cannot see the drive either

Clearly I have an IDE / SCSI related issue on that drive as the O/S cannot boot from it

0 Kudos
mkagzi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In VMware Converter, click on "configure machine" and select the workstation XP image you created. Once the configuration is completed now try and start the virtual machine.

0 Kudos
Spiker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply

I am reimaging the machine ( again ) to start afresh after modyfing the vmx to try and get the scsi stuff removed - no joy

Forgive the question but what do you mean 'configure machine' in vmconverter - where is that option and what is that option intended to do ?

0 Kudos
mkagzi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you open VMware Converter, right beside the "Import Machine" button there is a button for "configure machine".

This reconfigures the .vmx file of the virtual machine to make sure that you are able to boot the virtual machine successfully.

Spiker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok - sure - when you ALREADY have a VM converted ! - I see it on my other version

I will complete the conversion and run the configure option - thanks will post the outcome

0 Kudos
Spiker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Well the conversion option didnt offer any other configuration options - it was already a workstation image and i did not want a conversion to ESX

So I then proceeded to fire up an existing XP machine and add a brand new 35GB drive and formatted it as NTFS

Then I detached the drive and mapped it so that I could view the volume in explorer

I did the same with the converted drive which would not boot

I then set about replicating the whole file system to the mapped empty volume ( this took some time)

Then I created a brand new VM - Custom - XP and added an existing drive ( which was now IDE - not SCSI) and linked the new drive that I had copied the files to.

Tried to boot it and no joy - it would not boot from this new drive

So I now have a SCSI vmdk and an IDE vmdk with identical data - neither of which boots

The SCSI drive blue screens and the IDE fails to be detected

What I am doing wrong here ?

0 Kudos
mkagzi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Lets take a step back,

- Are you converting it as a local standalone virtual machine?

- Can you please attach the boot.ini file from the virtual machine?

- Also, can you attach a screen shot of the disk managmentment screen from the physical machine?

theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

1st, make sure you are not converting anything that may prevent it to work as a virtual machine. for instance - dell openmanage Smiley Wink

are you able to safe boot this? then msconfig it down?

0 Kudos
Spiker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi guys

Thanks for your suggestions

I had already looked at the boot ini and it only had the 1 ARC path but i'll double check the disk Management screen and come back as the laptop is currently offsite today

0 Kudos
Heiko4
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Spike

Regarding the error: ***STOP 0x0000007B ( 0xF88BE524,0x0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

We as well had the problem. After the conversion we removed the VM from the inventory. Converted only drive c: and manually attached the data partition. Problem was solved.

Heiko

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

As you have rightly stated a 7B stop error means inaccessable boot device, you will need to add the Buslogic or LSI driver you your machine prior to the conversion process.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos