VMware Cloud Community
sbrousse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Download ESX Virtual machine from ESX1 and copy to ESX2.

Hi,

I am trying to copy a ESX Guest Virtual machine from server 1 to server 2. I was trying to use VMware Converter 3.0.3 to rename the virtual server and then copy it to ESX2. Then from that point remove from domain, change it's host name and then remerge to domain as a completly seperate server. However VMware Converter is not letting me import or am I doing this wrong way?

Scott.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sbrousse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help found out their was a problem with the vmware agent and it was crashing during the clone of the virtual machine. Reinstalled VMware Converter and the problem was resolved.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you have Virtual Center server, you can use the Clone feature to clone the existing guest to the other server. Then assuming it is a windows box run sysprep or newsid and change the IP.

0 Kudos
sbrousse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I wish we did however, this is just foundation.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When you say it is not letting you, do you mean you get an error message?

0 Kudos
sbrousse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is the error:The Vmware Converter Agent Connection was lost. The wizard cannot proceed any further. Press ok to close the wizard.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Check out section 4. Might need to allow some traffic between the hosts.

0 Kudos
sbrousse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help found out their was a problem with the vmware agent and it was crashing during the clone of the virtual machine. Reinstalled VMware Converter and the problem was resolved.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos