VMware Cloud Community
simo79
Contributor
Contributor

Domain controller converted but doesn't work good.

I have just converted my windows 2003 DC but when I turn on the virtual machine alone in a dedicated virtual switch for test I received this error in the event viewer:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Userenv

Event

Category: None

Event ID: 1058

Date: 2/8/2002

Time: 7:25:40

AM

User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Computer: MYCOMPUTER

Description:

Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPOCN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=lcds,DC=lab

The

file must be present at the location

lcds.lab\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}

(Access is denied) Group Policy processing aborted.

Event Type:

Error

Event Source: Userenv

Event Category: None

Event ID:

Date: 2/8/2002

Time: 7:30:46 AM

User: N/A

Computer:

MYCOMPUTER

Description: Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy

objects. A message that describes the reason for this was previously logged by

the policy engine.

The real DC work good and I don't have this error. Why there is this in the converted machine?

I have converted the DC when it is turn off..

I don't know..

Thank you

0 Kudos
5 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

It's not recommended to P2V your domain controller, but rather create a new virtual machine and promote it to DC and demote your physical server that would be best performance and clean. But if you've already P2V'ed and experience issue, you may want to fix it by making sure you raise the domain level to all Windows 2003 if you do not have any 2000 around.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You can read this thread we've discussed and might answer more details http://communities.vmware.com/message/1317743#1317743

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
dickybird
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ild a new server and promote it to be DC instead of P2V as its not recommended

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A few things.

As others have said, P2V a live DC is a big no-no.

Also, if this is not your only DC it will try to connect to the other DCs to sync. You said you brought it back up on a vSwitch that does not connect to the network, those wrrors are to be expected.

Best way to do it:

1) create a new VM and DCpromo it.

2)Transfer all the roles to the new DC.

3) Demote your physical DC, P2V and promote it back.

3) do 3 for every physical DC to P2V

0 Kudos
norregaard
Expert
Expert

I agree with the recommendations above. however, we have done a number of DC P2V's (cold clone) which have worked just fine.

Reading the error messag, it's not that there's no network connection from the VM? Could you try to boot with full network access?

Here's a link to our experiences with P2V of DC's with some good references.

http://www.vi-tips.com/2009/06/p2v-of-domain-controller.html

0 Kudos