VMware Cloud Community
elkarel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does vConverter resize the disk?

Hi all,

I want to move a physical machine with 243GB disk to an ESX3.0. The server does not have enough space (156GB) so I lowered the disk size with the option "destination size".

This would result in a virtual disk of 113GB (see image) - but ouch, vConverter says "The file system does not support file as this large"...

The output of vmkfstools -P says it has 1MB block size so if I understand well it should support up to 256GB files..

$ /usr/sbin/vmkfstools -P /vmfs/volumes/storage1/

VMFS-3.21 file system spanning 2 partitions.

File system label (if any): storage1

Mode: public

Capacity 578746843136 (551936 file blocks * 1048576), 170295033856 (162406 blocks) avail

UUID: 46effbff-1c4d324f-2963-0018fefe3238

Partitions spanned:

vmhba0:0:0:3

vmhba0:1:0:1

Am I doing something wrong?

Best regards,

Karel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

elkarel,

at face value the file size restriction is about the target volume not supporting files over 2GB. Do you have an external storage volume to test with?

I want to move a physical machine with 243GB disk to an ESX3.0

Are you really using ESX 3.0 with the newer version of VMware Converter? I think Converter standalone v4.3 dropped support for 3.0.x, which means you'd have to use Converter 4.0.1.

Also, with some older versions of ESX and Converter, we use to require double the amount of free space on the destination volume. I think that was resolved in Converter 4.0.0, but I could be wrong.

Also, there was an issue a while back about the actual destination volume itself. It looks like local storage is being used, but is spanned across volumes (which isn't that good). There was one person converting to NFS and the NFS Volume was rejecting files over 2gb or something like that.

Regards,

Jon Hemming, B.Sc., RHCT, VMware vExpert 2009
http://twitter.com/vJonHemming

If your problem or questions has been resolved, please click the button "Correct Answer". If someone has assisted, please click "Helpful Answer".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

elkarel,

at face value the file size restriction is about the target volume not supporting files over 2GB. Do you have an external storage volume to test with?

I want to move a physical machine with 243GB disk to an ESX3.0

Are you really using ESX 3.0 with the newer version of VMware Converter? I think Converter standalone v4.3 dropped support for 3.0.x, which means you'd have to use Converter 4.0.1.

Also, with some older versions of ESX and Converter, we use to require double the amount of free space on the destination volume. I think that was resolved in Converter 4.0.0, but I could be wrong.

Also, there was an issue a while back about the actual destination volume itself. It looks like local storage is being used, but is spanned across volumes (which isn't that good). There was one person converting to NFS and the NFS Volume was rejecting files over 2gb or something like that.

Regards,

Jon Hemming, B.Sc., RHCT, VMware vExpert 2009
http://twitter.com/vJonHemming

If your problem or questions has been resolved, please click the button "Correct Answer". If someone has assisted, please click "Helpful Answer".

0 Kudos
Biliana
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

The error that appears on the screen comes from the ESX host. For more detailed investigation, we will need the logs that are generated by Converter. Could you please upload the diagnostig logs (you can get them by clicking on the "Export dignostic logs..." link)? Thanks.

elkarel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello IamTHEvilONE,

Sorry for late response but I was waiting if vConverter finishes the task...

It seems that you were right about the version. I downloaded the 4.0.1 and this one let me convert the machine. Only problem is that it is running for 24 hours and is at 59%... It seems to progress but it is getting slower and slower - before 14hours it was at 49%. Is this normal?

I left the default options on everything. The machine is windows XP 64bit.

Best Regards,

Karel

0 Kudos
elkarel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm at 79% , the task is running for 2 days, estimated time remaining 12h.

Buah.... going to get a coffee :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
elkarel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It took 2 days and 4 hours but it finally succeed and everything seems OK. Amazing! Thank you.

Best regards,

Karel

0 Kudos