VMware Cloud Community
rchusid
Contributor
Contributor

Does Converter work in Windows 7 64 bit?

Glancing through the information on Converter I don't see Windows 7 listed as a supported system. Before I invest too much time in this program can someone say for certain if it works with Windows 7?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Current Converter can not P2V or V2V Windows 7 64bit.

Your best option is to install it inside a Win2003 VM - but it may also work on Win7 64 bit - but usually you would not install it there.

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
rchusid
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the response. I suspect that it might be better to forget about using the converter. I haven't used any of this software before, so please let me know if my reasoning here is off. I assume that in order to install Converter into an older Windows virtual machine I'd have to actually install an older version of Windows into it. If I have to do this, it defeats my purpose in using converter.

The problem is that my Windows XP notebook died and I replaced it with a Windows 7 notebook, but there are some older DOS and WIndows programs which I use, primarily at the office. (If necessary I'll set up an inexpensive computer with XP to run them, but it would be preferable for obvioius reasons to run them in a virtual machine on my notebook). I figured my options were to 1) use converter to get the set up on the old hard drive, or an Aconis drive image, set up as a virtual machine and then remove the programs which run under Windows 7 or to 2) Set up a virtual machine running XP and reinstall the programs which do not run on Windows 7. If the converter doesn't work under Windows 7 it sounds like it would be simpler to just set up XP instead of using the converter.

0 Kudos
Mohammad1982
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Converter will not work in windows 7.

Please check the below link, this gives the Operating systems that are supported.

http://www.vmware.com/support/converter/doc/releasenotes_conv40.html#platf

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Mohammad Wasim
0 Kudos