VMware Cloud Community
MiniBazzer
Contributor
Contributor

Debian Linux 3: Unable to detect disks or volumes on the source machine error

I am currently trying to create a virtual machine from a Debian Linux 3 physical server to no avail. It keeps coming up with the message "Unable to detect disks or volumes on the source machine."

I am also running VMWare ESX Server 3i 3.5.0 build-153875 and trying to use VMWare vCentre Converter Standalone to achieve this.

I have been able to virtualise both RH Linux and Windows in the past with no problems, both of which are sucessfully running on the ESX Server. So I'm not sure what the problem with this one is. The physical server is an old Dell PowerEdge 1550. The server has become very unreliable and virtualization is our only option as the website is not rebuildable on another server. Please help!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Is that an old Debian too ?

Converter may not work with older kernels? Did you look it up with the release notes ?

You can always do it the hardway - with Linux you would dd the disks and maybe recreate the initrd ... if you search google you will find some good howtos though most of them are for RedHat

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos