VMware Cloud Community
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

Conveter error 1% 5%... 97%

I've had good luck with P2V Assistant in the past and needed to convert some physicals in the lab today so I thought I'd give Converter a try since we're licensed for it.

Unfortunately, 1% 5%... 97%, failure every time. Unfortunately my failures take about 30-45 minutes to complete. That's a long time to wait to see if it's going to work or not.

I tried a few of the workarounds to no avail. I'm using the boot .iso to convert a Citrix box. Right now I can't really taint the Citrix box with extra services which is why I like the boot .iso method.

Looks like it's back to P2V Assistant until this gets sorted out. Too bad, the new screens looked promising and impressive.

PS. One thing I don't see in the boot .ISO with Converter which I had the option to configure with the boot .ISO in P2V Assistant is network card speed/duplex. Surely this must exist somewhere?

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos
6 Replies
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

I see configuring speed/duplex isn't an option with the Converter boot .iso

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=564490&#564490

That's REAL POOR[/b] VMware. What are you thinking?

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Setting the speed/duplex is currently not possible in the Converter Cold Clone Boot CD. This will likely be a feature in a future release.

jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

I submitted as a feature request.

The 97% failure thing needs to be fixed for the most part also. There shouldn't be this many failures. Sounds like the beta was working better for people.

Thanks,

Jas

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

Converter 3.0.1 boot ISO is working slightly[/i] better but so far today I was only able to use it to convert 1 out of 4 physical Compaq servers.

A 2nd box I had to use the Converter 3.0.1 agent software installed inside the Windows OS.

The other 2 boxes I had to revert to P2V Assistant. This is my ACE in the hole as it has rarely let me down. I'm still liking this product.

It's embarassing to be at a customer site to showcase/prove virtualization to them and the P2V products fail. Takes some quick tap dancing.

0 Kudos
ThomasV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The progress just jumps to 97% and then displays failed.

export the logs to a shared directory and check em (especially the converter log). I've done quit some conversions and always there is a good reason if it fails.

0 Kudos