VMware Cloud Community
LithiumKid1976
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Conveter error 1% 5%... 97%... then fails, Unknown error returned by VMware

Hi ,

I am having the same issue as a lot of users here,

i have a server 2000 image on a Blade, and using vmware converter to try and create a vmware image of it.

but it runs through the process, starts at 1%, goes to 5% then on to 97% then fails..... takes about 3 minutes for this to complete..

i have tried under the source data to select "system / active disk" and under the vmoption - Disk allocation i have tried it with the "allow virtual disk files to grow" and "Allow all disk space to be allocated now for better performance" settings, changing theses the convert takes 10 minutes, starts to copy the files to the specified location, fails and removes the copy!

the converter is not the fully licensed enterprise version at the moment, does any one think that upgrading this will solve this? (im just waitng for vmware to get back to me on this)

has any on any other suggestions for me to check out?

any help appreaciated...

Thanks

Damien

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

start vstor2-p2v30 = the service name is invalid

net start vstor2-p2v30 = the srvice name is invalid

net start stcp2v30 =the service name is invalid.

Just to reconfirm, this a Windows 2000 machine. When you initiate the import from your Converter running on your XP machine, the Windows 2000 machine will need to install these services and reboot. That these services are invalid would appear that the agent did not properly get installed.

Can you confirm you are using a local administrator account and that the account is not inheriting some restrictive domain policy? There seems to be a problem with the agent getting properly installed.

Try installing Converter directly on the Windows 2000 machine as an alternative.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
32 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It shouldn't matter that its the starter versus enterprise.

Are you running Converter from that server 2000 blade, or from somewhere else?

Where is the VM being created?

0 Kudos
LithiumKid1976
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

the converter is being run on a seperate machine, Win XP box, which is where the VM is also being created.

Damien

0 Kudos
LithiumKid1976
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Heres some of the details from the client log also..

\[2007-02-14 16:24:12.763 'App' 5320 verbose] \[imageProcessingTaskWrapper,1201] Disposing task wrapper for task VmiImportTask::task\{18}

\[2007-02-14 16:24:12.794 'P2V' 5320 error] \[task,295] Task failed: P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(sysimage.fault.CloneFault)

\[2007-02-14 16:24:12.794 'P2V' 5320 verbose] \[task,339] Transition from InProgress to Failure requested

\[2007-02-14 16:24:12.794 'P2V' 5320 verbose] \[task,388] Transition succeeded

\[2007-02-14 16:24:12.794 'P2V' 5320 verbose] \[job,231] Job 7 changing state from 1 to 2

\[2007-02-14 16:24:12.794 'P2V' 5320 verbose] \[serialization,213] Serializing job 7

\[2007-02-14 16:24:12.794 'P2V' 5320 verbose] \[serialization,220] Archiving job to C:\Documents and Settings\brennand\Application Data\VMware\p2v30\jobs\00000007.xml

\[2007-02-14 16:24:12.810 'P2V' 5320 verbose] \[jobManager,269] Raising event 2 for job 7

\[2007-02-14 16:24:12.810 'P2V' 5320 verbose] \[jobManager,269] Raising event 4 for job 7

\[2007-02-14 16:24:12.810 'P2V' 5320 verbose] \[jobManager,269] Raising event 6 for job 7

\[2007-02-14 16:24:12.810 'VmdbSvc' 5320 verbose] Shutting down VMDB service...

\[2007-02-14 16:24:12.810 'VmdbSvc' 5320 verbose] Unregistering callback...

\[2007-02-14 16:24:12.810 'VmdbSvc' 5320 verbose] ...done

\[2007-02-14 16:32:57.904 'P2V' 3308 verbose] \[p2vLicenseManager,235] License job init with license file: C:\Documents and Settings\brennand\Application Data\VMware\p2vlcns

\[2007-02-14 16:32:57.919 'P2V' 3308 verbose] \[p2vLicenseManager,250] License job Success !

\[2007-02-15 08:53:47.050 'P2V' 3308 verbose] \[p2vLicenseManager,235] License job init with license file: C:\Documents and Settings\brennand\Application Data\VMware\p2vlcns

\[2007-02-15 08:53:47.222 'P2V' 3308 verbose] \[p2vLicenseManager,250] License job Success !

regards

Damien

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

... bad sectors maybe? Perhaps the VM being converted has a read error, and the VC can't image the disk?

0 Kudos
pharmacare
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is this server running Citrix?

0 Kudos
trungngo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does servers running citrix can't be convert to VM? I had three citrix server and all of them failed at 97%. IS there any fix for this?

0 Kudos
pharmacare
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Look in the logs on the client. I had errors that matched this thread. (vim.fault.TooManyDevices)

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=70393&tstart=0

I modified the registry and was able to import the VM. In my case it was a 2.5 VM of a test Citirx server. Support has confirmed they are aware of this bug when I meantioned regarding another case.

Here are the steps documented the the above thread:

1) On the source host, open regedit

2) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM

3) Export the key for backup-archive-restore purposes

4) Delete CcmPort3 thru CcmPort9

5) Retry the migration

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you run these commands on the W2K machine cmd line while the clone is running? They should all return:

"The requested service has already been started."

net start vstor2-p2v30

net start ufad-p2v

net start vstor2-p2v30

net start stcp2v30

Also, please verify that these services are running:

Workstation

Server

TCP/IP NetBios Helper

0 Kudos
LithiumKid1976
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just an update to all the posts....

pangchen, i carried out your suggeestion, heres what i got...

net start vstor2-p2v30 = the service name is invalid

net start ufad-p2v = the requested service has allready been started,

theses are all ok..

Workstation

Server

TCP/IP NetBios Helper

\----

pharmacare , thanks for post. carried out the steps here, it didnt solve this issue......

also these did not correct the problem......

Here are the steps documented the the above thread:

1) On the source host, open regedit

2) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM

3) Export the key for backup-archive-restore purposes

4) Delete CcmPort3 thru CcmPort9

5) Retry the migration

and finally the box is running citrix also.

Damien

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

start vstor2-p2v30 = the service name is invalid

Just to reconfirm, this a Windows 2000 machine. When you initiate the import from your Converter running on your XP machine, the Windows 2000 machine will need to install these services and reboot. That these services are invalid would appear that the agent did not properly get installed.

Can you confirm you are using a local administrator account and that the account is not inheriting some restrictive domain policy? There seems to be a problem with the agent getting properly installed.

Try installing Converter directly on the Windows 2000 machine as an alternative.

0 Kudos
LithiumKid1976
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

sorry about the delay in replying, installing it on the machine worked.

hopefully Vmware will get this issue sorted in its next release.

Thanks

Damien

0 Kudos
huddie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Lithium and Pangchen,

I've been following your thread as I've been having exactly the same problem and I can't fix it. I'm getting the same clone error. I'm trying to convert from a Windows 2003 Server SP1 box (physical) to a VMWare Server guest. I'm using the latest version of VMWare Converter, which I downloaded yesterday. I've tried running the conversion task from my PC (Vista), and from the source. When running it from the source, I've tried logging in as a domain admin, installing VMWare Converter and running it. I've also tried logging in as local admin and installing and running VMWare Converter. I have to connect to the machine console using Terminal Services, as I don't have direct keyboard / monitor access.

Like Lithium, I'm seeing incremental progress from 1% to 20%, then a jump to 77%, then a jump to failure at 97%.

I have noticed that during the cloning process, while checking the processes as indicated by Pangchen, I get the following results, i.e., one seems to be missing.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>net start vstor2-p2v30

The requested service has already been started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>net start ufad-p2v

The requested service has already been started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>net start stcp2v30

The service name is invalid.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2185.

Can you help ? I would be very grateful.

0 Kudos
huddie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've just found out the source server's system / boot volume is a dynamic disk. From looking at this forum, it appears that VMWare Converter doesn't support dynamic disks, or at least not properly. I'm going to try using an old P2V Boot CD.

0 Kudos
gautam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Dynamic disks are supported...its just that the resulting volumes will be basic if you use "hot" cloning, dynamic dusks are preserved if you use the BootCD with the "import all disks" option

0 Kudos
dorbak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For what it's worth, I came across this post (http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=574734&#574734) and did the same steps...

I had a machine that was giving me grief (WinXP SP2, basic disks, tried both local/remote (hot) clones).

I ghosted the machine using Ghost 8.0, created a new VM, ran the Ghost bootdisk, and restored the image. Without booting the newly ghosted VM, I ran the Converter and created a new VMImage.

The only problem I ended getting was that the system didn't have the network card drivers installed, so I ended up calling up MS to reactivate Windows 😛

Not the prettiest solution, but it worked for me.

Good luck all, I spent way too much time on this one 😛

0 Kudos
igonzalezn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, i've already done everything you said and still failed at 97%.

My OS language is Spanish in both servers.

Any idea if maybe this is the problem?

I'll appreciate some help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
aleph0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Finally solved for me, without passing in Virtual Center but pointing directly to ESXHOST on which the vm Clone will be created.

cheers

mf

\aleph0 ____________________________ http://virtualaleph.blogspot.com/ ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
aleph0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi all,

I'm facing a problem with convert physical HP BL35p with NO SCSI disc on board.

I'm able to convert these servers with VMware Converter 3.0 but when I try to power on virtual machine it do not want to.

so I've solved in this way:

\- add a new virtual disc on the machine

\- boot the machine from a live CD OS (bartPe)

\- recreate the partition as primary on the newly added virtual disc

\- clone the exixting logical partitions to the newly created primary.

\- with diskpart set as active the right partition end then do a fixmbr on that disk

\- reboot and disconnect live CD.

Now all works fine

cheers

mf

\aleph0 ____________________________ http://virtualaleph.blogspot.com/ ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
vmarckel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

C:\>net start stcp2v30

The service name is invalid.

This is on a w2k3 Server after installing it as local admin several times.

Is this supposed to be running on a 2K3 server?

Is there a different service that should be running?

net start vstor2-p2v30

net start ufad-p2v

These both are started already.

Thanks

0 Kudos