VMware Cloud Community
millersmgd
Contributor
Contributor

Converting physical Win2003 standard SP2 to Virtual machine

Hi,

i have a physical IBM H20 bladeserver that i need to convert to a virtualmachine. I have tried different converter versions 3.03. 4. and latest ver 5 and technical kb´s without any luck.

I alway get the same error "Failed: unable to reconfigure the destination virtual machine. regardless of converter version. The server boots after conversion but i cant log in to the server looks like its hangs when its finished booting. I have done the usual tips like checkdisk on volumes ,no errors. defrag disks. The disks are both Basic disks. I use local account. tried buslogic and lsi scsi driver for virtual machine.

When i look in the converter logs i can find this text witch dosent say me much since i dont know whats missing.

[2012-03-17 22:41:30.372 06004 info 'App'] [task,373] [task-3] -- ERROR -- Convert: converter.fault.ReconfigurationFault
(converter.fault.ReconfigurationFault) {
dynamicType = <unset>,
faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,
description = "converter.fault.FileNotFound",

Also tried Coldclone but with server being a blade i got problem with loading files and  didn´t try anymore.

So if anyone got any tip, feel free to reply

Regards

millersmgd

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

The server boots after conversion but i cant log in to the server looks like its hangs when its finished booting ...

I don't have experience with IBM hardware, but I've seen issues like this with other hardware too. Usually this is caused by hardware related tools and/or drivers which don't work correctly if they don't find the expected hardware anymore. What I usually do to avoid this, is to set any automatically started hardware related services on the source system to "Manual" before starting the conversion. Although VMware Converter provides options to disable services on the target, I didn't have much luck with this so far. You could also try to boot the already converted VM into save mode and then disable unneeded services.

André

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert

Is there any difference if you try to boot in Safe mode?

Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i found in one of the other convert logs pointing to a missing file "i8042prt.sys" in a CAB file. When i checked the drivers cash of the server being imported

"C:\windows\Driver Cache\i386" and compared the content to another Win2003 server i found that SP1.CAB and SP2.CAB was missing. Copied the cabfiles from the other server and ran the conversion again, Sucessfully imported the machine.

Thanx for the answers.

Millersmgd

0 Kudos
KMG365
Contributor
Contributor

millersmgd,

Thank you for posting this about the cab files.  That turned out to be the fix to my issue as well.  I was missing Driver.cab in addition to SP1 and SP2.  I copied all three and started the P2V again and it worked!   Again, thanks for posting.  Saved me a lot of headache.

0 Kudos