VMware Cloud Community
kevin79
Contributor
Contributor

Converting machines with WAN

I have a site in Germany that is connected to my main site in Michigan with VPN. We have vCenter in Michigan that controls all our other sites that have vmWare. Currently, I have two virtual servers in Germany that are running on vmWare server. I am going to be putting two esx servers in Germany to replace old servers and need to convert the two vmWare server virtual machines to esx virtual machines. Can I use converter on my vCenter server to do this? I don't want to send all the data to Michigan then back to Germany. Should I try using stand-alone converter instead? Suggestions on the best way to do this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I would start use VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 4.3  This way you can let it run however long it needs to run.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Converter is not required to move a VMserver VM to ESX.

I would rather use ftp to copy the VMs

0 Kudos
jasonvines
Contributor
Contributor

I have the very same question. If my vCenter server is at site A and I want to P2V a server at site B to a host at site B will the data come back to site A and then go back to site B?

I would use standalone, but I want to schedule it so it will kick off after everyone has gone home.

0 Kudos
kevin79
Contributor
Contributor

I ended up using the stand-alone converter. I didn't try the vSphere version but looking at it, it didn't look like a lot of data was sent to the converter host during th conversion. I'd suggest giving it a try to see if it will work or not.

0 Kudos
jasonvines
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah I did the same thing.  Installed standalone on each of the servers I wanted to convert.

0 Kudos