VMware Cloud Community
jmfasha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converting an encrypted LUK in Redhat P2V

Is it possible to convert an encrypted LUK file-system with VMWare converter.  I have tried everything from all references online and still get the following:

From the Converter GUI:  Unable to query the live system host (Red Hat)

From the Worker Log I notice the following error:  "No disks for volume with id dev/blah/blah and label ' '   "

Any insight would be helpful as I am stuck at a dead end.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

it seems the root volume is mounted twice

<volume mountPoint="/" blockSizeInBytes="4096" capacityInBlocks="178678536" blocksFree="136208949" blocksUsed="42469587" devicePath="/dev/rhel/root" fileSystemType="xfs" isBootVolume="false" label="">

<volume mountPoint="/var/lib/docker/overlay" blockSizeInBytes="4096" capacityInBlocks="178678536" blocksFree="136208948" blocksUsed="42469588" devicePath="/dev/rhel/root" fileSystemType="xfs" isBootVolume="false" label="">

From release notes :"Converter cannot query Linux source when a volume is mounted more than once".

Try unmounting /var/lib/docker/overload and retry the conversion.

HTH,

Plamen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Not all file system are recognized on Linux, only /dev/hd# and /dev/sd#

Could you upload log-bundle?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Why dont you create vmdks with dd and then do the patching part manually ?
This way you can copy the devices as complete blocks and dont need a tool that can handle the encryption ...

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

it seems the root volume is mounted twice

<volume mountPoint="/" blockSizeInBytes="4096" capacityInBlocks="178678536" blocksFree="136208949" blocksUsed="42469587" devicePath="/dev/rhel/root" fileSystemType="xfs" isBootVolume="false" label="">

<volume mountPoint="/var/lib/docker/overlay" blockSizeInBytes="4096" capacityInBlocks="178678536" blocksFree="136208948" blocksUsed="42469588" devicePath="/dev/rhel/root" fileSystemType="xfs" isBootVolume="false" label="">

From release notes :"Converter cannot query Linux source when a volume is mounted more than once".

Try unmounting /var/lib/docker/overload and retry the conversion.

HTH,

Plamen

0 Kudos
jmfasha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This seems to work thus far.  I will update once the conversion completes successfully.  Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos