VMware Cloud Community
tisuportealba
Contributor
Contributor

Converting a legacy Redhat physical to a virtual machine

Cannot convert this machine, an old redhat 4.2 server, because this ssh server is to old. Another host in the destination virtual enviroment only connect through ssh with the option "-oKexAlgorithms=+diffie-hellman-group1-sha1", but i don't know how to force the helper vm to use this same key. This way i got error in this.

FAILED: A general system error occurred: # 10.0.1.21:22 SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.9p1 # 10.0.1.21:22 SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.9p1 # 10.0.1.21:22 SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.9p1 # 10.0.1.21:
22 SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.9p1 Network error. Host 10.0.1.21 key can't be retrieved. (return code 2)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

I am not sure if you will be able to convert it to VM. really old one. 

How big is your Server? 

0 Kudos
tisuportealba
Contributor
Contributor

Not so big, but a legacy database. The problem: it's running in a old hardware. We need this db only for query some informations when necessary by regulatories mesures. 

I think create a virtual clone and turn off this old server.

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Will you be able to upgrade Red Hat to a bit newest version? 

0 Kudos
tisuportealba
Contributor
Contributor

No way. 

The current version of database doesn't permit ti change SO version. This is a huge problem because the cobol applications does not works in new db versions.

0 Kudos
plamen_d
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

This is correct, Converter 6.3 cannot convert RHEL versions prior to 6.

Converter 6.2 can, though. It is not available for download, for security reasons as well (including the one that you hit here), but if have a copy left somewhere, or if someone can hand it to you, it is expected to do the job.

HTH and regards,

Plamen

tisuportealba
Contributor
Contributor

I have a 6.2 copy and will give a try.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
tisuportealba
Contributor
Contributor

Version 6.2 worked great, thanks. Server converted as espected, but the ASM disks.... 🙂 

A friend told me about a tool called "VMware Convertor Cold Clone" (discontinued)  that converts a physical linux system with any raw disks, even not been visible by OS. I'm not sure if true, but..... i will try as soon as possible.

Thanks for all

0 Kudos
plamen_d
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Good to see that it works 🙂

The old cold clone was for Windows only and it is very old. I'd say - don't bother to look for it.

As for the ASM disks, I am not familiar with these. I guess their block devices may look different and Converter doesn't recognize them. The usual workaround in such cases is to copy the volumes manually, i.e. create new disks in the VM, setup logical volumes if needed, format the volumes, and then use scp, rsync, or whatever your favorite way is. Converter itself uses tar during cloning.

HTH,

Plamen

tisuportealba
Contributor
Contributor

I will no longer use "Cold Clone" because it is too old. You are right. Thanks.

Unfortunately I will have to leave for a plan "B". MIgrate the old db to a new one, schema by schema.... 

0 Kudos