VMware Cloud Community
catalystrms
Contributor
Contributor

Converting a 2008 VM hosted on a linux box to a different linux box via a windows Xp box

I am using vCenter Converter Stand alone for the first time, v4.0.1-161434. I installed it on my Windows XP pro computer.

I have a VM of windows 2008 server running on a host CentOS Server, running VMware Server 2.0. I want to convert it to another CentOS Server running VMware Server 2.0 because the first Linux box is dying. I select Powered-on machine as the source type and specify the remote machine using the ip address of the VM 2008 server guest on the original CentOS system and I use the windows admin user account and password. The converter grabs the source details immediately, things are looking great! On to the Specify the Destination page.

I select the destination type as "VMware Infrastructure virtual machine" because it was the one showing up when I opened this page so I assumed it was the most favorable option. I entered the IP address of the New CentOS destination server, the user name (with root admin power and the password and clicked on Next. An error message pooped up saying "A general system error occurred: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it." I decided to try the other option for destination type and switched to VMware Workstation or other VMware virtual machine. I selected VMware Server 2.x as the product type gave the new VM a name Bill2 and choose a location for the new VM as
newCentOS\images\Bill2 (before doing this, I made a new directory on the Server in the images folder called Bill2.) I set the connect as credentials to the Linux admin account username and password and clicked on Next. Got an error message "The operation failed for 'newCentOS\images' due to incorrect credentials." I substituted the IP Address, got the same error message, and that's where I sit.

Anyone have a way beyond this point please?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

can't you power down the VM and then simply copy the directory of the VM ?

I guess that is much faster and more reliable

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
catalystrms
Contributor
Contributor

I suppose that would work except I need the windows server VM running 24/7, that's the reason for wanting to "clone" it with vCenter Converter. Once the copy is ready I can swap over to the clone and shut the old CentOS server down for repairs.

0 Kudos