VMware Cloud Community
dphelps1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converting XP Pro SP2

Greetings,

Does Convert convert XP PCs with IDE controllers? I'm trying to convert some XP PCs without any luck. Both are older HP/Compaq PCs.

The first one failed at 97% without an error message. The other one is stuck at 5% for about 1 hr with the following log entry: \[#2] \[2007-08-31 07:26:58.212 'App' 1216 verbose] \[imageProcessingTaskWrapper,668] (Re)Start waiting for property updates from volumeFormattingWin32Task::task\{6}

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The failure at 5% could have been triggered by network issues or some access issues with the computer. Make sure to stay off the XP machine during the conversion. Disable any antivirus software that you may have running as well.

The failure at 97% depends...if it suddenly jumped up to 97% very quickly, something was wrong with the clone in the first place. If it took a reasonable amount of time to copy the disk information over, then the failure has to do with reconfiguring the system to make it work in a VM, which could be caused by some unusual partition layouts.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes it does. Your error might be avoided by not resizing your partitions on the disk.

0 Kudos
dphelps1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1. The PC that I said was stuck at 5% is slowly making progress. It is currently at 60%. So I'm hopeful.

2. On both the previous PC and the currently running PC, I'm trying to reduce the volume size. Do you know of any way to reduce a volume's size after a convert and recover the disk capacity?

3. On the previous PC that failed at 97%, it only has 256 Mb RAM. Could this have cause the failure? I wasn't doing a cold convert.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The failure at 5% could have been triggered by network issues or some access issues with the computer. Make sure to stay off the XP machine during the conversion. Disable any antivirus software that you may have running as well.

The failure at 97% depends...if it suddenly jumped up to 97% very quickly, something was wrong with the clone in the first place. If it took a reasonable amount of time to copy the disk information over, then the failure has to do with reconfiguring the system to make it work in a VM, which could be caused by some unusual partition layouts.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

>> If it took a reasonable amount of time to copy the disk information over, then the failure has to do with reconfiguring the system to make it work in a VM, which could be caused by some unusual partition layouts

In such a case, attempt to power on the left behind VM - if it fails to boot, mount the vmdk files to a working VM and browse the OS partition to find and ensure the boot.ini file is correctly pointing to partition(1)

0 Kudos