ericsl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Converting W2K Server hangs at 97%, updating boot sector

Hello All,

Am trying to get a W2K server box on ESX 3.5 U2. It fails at 97%; updating boot sector.

I have run Converter locally and from another machine with the same result.

I have tried to convert it to ESX and VMware server, same result.

I am attaching the logs if someone can look at them.

TYIA,

Eric

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ericsl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What a pain! I finally got this converted by running VMware Converter from another machine and converting it as a VMware Server Virtual Machine. Then I started the VMware Server virtual machine and ran VMware Converter on it to convert it to ESX, which was very sloooowww, and it actually hung at 97%, but in this case I was able to start the ESX virtual machine anyway.

It might have been easier for me to do a clean w2k install and then restore from an NT backup or some type of ghosting scheme...

Eric

0 Kudos
ericsl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

An interesting postscript to this whole ordeal was that when I went into computer management/disk management I found that Dell Open Manage was installed and I could not access the disks. I think this was, possibly, causing the problems with the disk creation. I removed that program, rebooted and was able to add the missing data volume and restore the original data from NT backup. I also deleted the UPS software....

Eric

0 Kudos