VMware Cloud Community
E_rulez
Contributor
Contributor

Converting Vmware server 2 VM: Converter fails at 'Retrieving source machine information'

VMware vCenter Converter Standalone, v. 4.0.1, build-161434

Hello,

I try to convert my Debian VM (with 2 disks) from VMware server 2.0.1 to latest ESXi 4.0.0, but Converter just sits there showing 'Retrieving source machine information...'

I tried copying this VM directly to ESXi, but it fails to start saying something about 'wrong disk version 7'

Then I tried creating a new VM in VMWare server and adding vmdk disks from my Debian VM, trying to convert - same problem.

I created new vmdk disks, copied information from old ones - same problem - "hangs" on importing.

I don't know what to try. All other VMs from that VMWare server converted without any problems.

I attach 3 logs of separate tries to convert this VM.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
E_rulez
Contributor
Contributor

Today installed VMware vCenter Server (4.0.0 162856) Evaluation with vCenter Converter plug-in (4.1.0) and tried to convert that virtual machine.

However, it failed with error "Unable to read OS info from system disk".

Are there any other simple options to convert that VM?

0 Kudos
Brahell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is the source disk of VM IDE or SCSI? Did you check?

Maybe you need to edit the VM and change the SCSI device do LSILOGIC/BUSLOGIC or add disk as IDE.

Try to change the following lines in the VMX file:

virtualHW.version = "7" (4)

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic" (ide)

0 Kudos
E_rulez
Contributor
Contributor

It was:

virtualHW.version = "7"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

just tried:

4, ide

4, buslogic

7, buslogic

still hangs on "retrieving source machine information"

0 Kudos
Brahell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you ever heard about COLD CONVERTER ?

If you have it, you can try boot the VM with it and convert the VM off-line.

I found the following link, where people tryed to use Converter 3.0, and worked fine, but with Windows 2003:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/187423

0 Kudos
E_rulez
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I heard about Cold converter.

In fact this debian VM was originally created from physical machine with cold converter.

OK, I'll try to convert using cold converter later today.

However, does cold converter 3.0 support converting to ESXi 4?

0 Kudos
E_rulez
Contributor
Contributor

Just tried Cold converter (3.0) and got this error

"Unknown error returned by VMware Converter Agent"

Log shows "Image processing task has failed with MethodFault::Exception: sysimage.fault.InvalidTargetProductVersion" so I guess

ESXi 4 is not supported...

0 Kudos
E_rulez
Contributor
Contributor

Couldn't find any easier (and faster) solutions, so used Clonezilla (http://clonezilla.org/) to backup all hard disks in

source virtual machine (on VMware server) to our NFS server and restore them to a newly created VM on ESXi.

I hope there won't be such problems when I will need to migrate this machine again to something else in the future...

0 Kudos