VMware Cloud Community
duckmiester
Contributor
Contributor

Converting Microsoft VM's

We currnetly run Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 and wish to change over to VMware server.

We have about 4 MS VM's that have a C:\ of 10GB Fixed Hard Drive, which have less then 1GB free space.

Is it possible to convert the MS VM into VMware and extend the C:\ to 15-20GB instead of 10GB?

Overall result is, i want all the data to stay the same from MS to VMware, however with 15-20GB C:\ instead of 10GB

Is this possible?

If so, how do I go about this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
uslacker99
Expert
Expert

Yes, but you may need to reactivate depending on the guest OS. Download VMware converter to do this.

0 Kudos
duckmiester
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Guest Hardware / OS will be exactly the same. I just want to use VMware instead of Microsoft Virtual Server.

Ok, so I use the VMware utility to convert .VHD files to VMware format. Then I install VMware and setup a new VM and import the data from the VMware converter.

Where exactly do I get to make the C:\ larger?

When creating a new VM in VMware do I specify 20GB C:\ and then I import the data from VMware Converter which was a 10GB file?

Help Appreciated

0 Kudos
uslacker99
Expert
Expert

If you install converter inside the guest and transfer it out that way, it should allow u to expand the disk.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

uslacker99 is correct. You can also run Converter remotely against the powered-off choosing "standalone" for the source type.

Be sure that you remove the microsoft's VM "add-ons" which is equivelent to our vmware-tools install. Failure to do so could lead to no functionality of the mouse in your new vmware built VM.

0 Kudos