VMware Cloud Community
Craig19
Contributor
Contributor

Converting Hyper-v over to OVF Errors

I am trying to convert a vhd over to a vmx or ovf extension but this vCenter Converter is horrific to use. I have ran into many different errors, almost a different error each time I open the converter. 

My steps

1.open Converter

2. Convert Machine

3.  Powered off | Hyper-V Server

4. Enter machine name(hyper is local) and credentials

5. Click Next

6. Agent Deployment appears, I choose Auto uninstall or Manual and it gets the same end result error.

Any help is appreciated. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the vCenter Converter multiple times. Other errors I have receive at this point are, error 1610, another application is already installed or access denied.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
elehpantskneeca
Contributor
Contributor

Install the entire converter directly on the source vm  then run it in the vm. It will run fine and will automatically create the open port changes it needs. 

0 Kudos
Craig19
Contributor
Contributor

I should have mentioned this, I do not have a Vmware server onsite. I just need the VHD converted to vmx or OVF to upload to a Vendor. 

0 Kudos
elehpantskneeca
Contributor
Contributor

You can point it to export the whole vm to a folder . vCenter isn’t a vital requirement. Just attach some external storage

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

for converting an offline hyperv vm the converter agent  has to be installed on the  hyperv-host. this installation failed in your attempt.

look in the logs why its failed

0 Kudos