VMware Cloud Community
AlexF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converting From Physical to a VM

I'm trying to clone a physical host to a VM using the converter. I get to the part where it prompts for a location. It must be in the form of //machine/share , but I don't have an OS yet installed on the VM. I thought the converter is supposed to clone the physical box, including the OS. Am I supposed to install Windows on the VM so I could clone the physical host to it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It's asking for the share point on another server where it can create the files for the VM it is about to create. You can't put files into thin air -- they must be created on a hard disk partitioned with a filesystem \*somewhere*.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It's asking for the share point on another server where it can create the files for the VM it is about to create. You can't put files into thin air -- they must be created on a hard disk partitioned with a filesystem \*somewhere*.

0 Kudos
choming_tsai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi RDPetruska, could you explain this case more clear? do you mean converter can't convert some type of applications such as Microsoft share-point to VM? We have problem to convert some Win2003 with Microsoft share-point, the service can't start-up. Thanks for your reply.

Mark

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Converter is simply wanting a Windows network share to be able to create a folder and files for the new VM. You specify the share by
host_name\share. For example,
10.10.1.15\c$

0 Kudos