VMware Cloud Community
Rendrick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converting Acronis True Image 2013 to vmware Workstation

I am trying to convert an Acronis .TIB archive to a Workstation VM.  I installed vCenter Converter 5.0, but when I tried to initiate a conversion I get an 'invalid parameters' message when I select the .TIB archive. 

Any ideas on how to get Acronis True Image 2013 and vmware to play nice, since Converter says it supports TIB files?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

To answer the second part of your question, you can try to create a new target VM with blank disks large enough to hold the source image, restore the image in the new VM using the Acronis provided software (bood CD?) and then run Converter on the newly created VM selecting the "Reconfiguration" option (hopefully it will make the result boot in Workstation).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
abirhasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you looked at VMWare's free converter? http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

It can convert various things to VMDK format, so if you can get your  tib file in one of its supported input formats the converter will  convert this to VDMK.

I used it to convert a version 10 tib file directly to VMDK format,  but I don't think that the converter yet supports the newer tib file  formats.

abirhasan 
0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Converter User's guide (https://www.vmware.com/pdf/convsa_50_guide.pdf) on page 22 says that Converter supports the following Acronis versions:

• Acronis True Image Echo 9.1, 9.5, and Acronis True Image Home 10 and 11 (.tib)
  • Looks like for 2013 the format has been changed...

Expert
    Jump to solution

To answer the second part of your question, you can try to create a new target VM with blank disks large enough to hold the source image, restore the image in the new VM using the Acronis provided software (bood CD?) and then run Converter on the newly created VM selecting the "Reconfiguration" option (hopefully it will make the result boot in Workstation).

Contributor
    Contributor
    Jump to solution

That is what I ended up doing.  Hopefully VMware will fix this soon.

0 Kudos