VMware Cloud Community
ksehl
Contributor
Contributor

Converting Acer G310 into virtual machine fails

Hello to all,

we have to convert an Windows Server 2003 R2 running on a Acer G310 into a virtual machine.

The source is running well, we converted with Converter 4.x and tried also Converter 3.x into an ESX4i.

Both hot and cold.

Everything during converting runs fine. But later we can´t get the Vmware running. We get an BSOD (NOT 0x00000007b !)

STOP: 0x00000008E (0xc0000005, 0x000063fc, 0xf78a64d2 , 0x00000000)

We only can start windows server 2003 in safe mode, but all devices are correct, even the SCSI LSIadapters etc....

Same problem if we try to restore into the esx4i with different "desaster recovery" products like acronis true image echo server,

or paragon Server backup 10.

Then we tried to restore into an microsft virtual PC 2007 system. Amazing is, that works like a charm.

Something ist going wrong particularly under vmware.

I tried realy everything. i am totaly clueless

best regards Klaus

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have two recommendations. One is try using the vmware's live boot CD converter to convert your computer instead of built-in converter. The CD is usually a safer bet because the computer is off. The second is try using the windows 2003 disk and run a repair on that instance of Windows that is BSOD. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
ksehl
Contributor
Contributor

The second is try using the windows 2003 disk and run a repair on that

We tried this first, no positiv effect !

Thanks

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have yo try switching your VM scsi virtual adapter LSI to BUS or vice versa and reboot the system?

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
ksehl
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I did.

NO effect.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

next thing I would do is boot into your Windows LiveCD (BartPE, LiveXP, MOA or whatever you prefer ...) and load the system hive of the 2003 VM.

Check for services that are no longer needed in a VM - such as hardware monitoring stuff, printers and so on - if you find candidates disable them

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
abrough
Contributor
Contributor

I have found a solution to this problem

I have an Acer server and had the exact same issue, we could boot into safe mode but would Blue screen upon normal boot. Thanks for the tip on MS Virtual PC

The problem lies with a low level non-Microsoft system driver that causes the Bluescreen, you can install all the correct drivers all you like, it will still Bluescreen when the erronious one gets loaded.

Perform the following steps:

1. Boot into safe mode

2. Start Explorer and go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers - there will be a lot of drivers ending in .sys

3. Add a new colum to Explorer 'Manufacturer' - Sort by the manufacturer

4. Delete every file that is not produced by Microsoft

5. Reboot normally, install VMtools etc...

While I'm sure only one of the drivers causes the issue, I didn't feel like trying each one in turn... Also I'm sure there may be some registry cleanup to be done, but this method at least gets theVM to boot

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

thats a kamikaze approach - it will also destroy function of other apps that use drivers - you were extremly lucky that it worked without producing other critical issues

Kids - don't try this at home 😉

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos