VMware Cloud Community
dfuerpo
Contributor
Contributor

Converter to Fusion problem

OK, can anyone tell me what I've done wrong? I used vmware converter to make a virtual machine from a Windows Vista box. I got two files: a small (1K) .vmx file and a big (80 GB) .vmdk file. When I try to open these files in Mac Fusion 2, the .vmdk file is greyed out and trying to open the .vmx file gives me an "unknown error". Have I missed something?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
tima83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Please find the attached document for step to step conversion.

Regards

Nikhil Rattan Bhardwaj

0 Kudos
tima83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Please find the below some of the known issues :

Microsoft Windows sometimes fails when you attempt to run the Boot Camp partition as a virtual machine.

In some cases, attempting to run your Boot Camp partition as a VMware Fusion virtual machine might result in Windows failing. If this happens, editing the Boot Camp virtual machine .vmx file might possibly fix the problem. One thing to try is to open the .vmx file and delete the line that reads

scsi0.present = "TRUE".

To find the .vmx file for the Boot Camp virtual machine, go to the virtual machine's package at

<your home folder>/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/<disk identifier>/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm.

Right-click on the package, choose Show Package Contents, and open the .vmx file shown in the package.

The VMware Fusion BIOS posts too quickly to access.

Most users will not need to access the BIOS, but advanced users might want to do so, to change the boot order, set a boot password, or enable a second floppy drive. To work around this problem, use a text editor to add the following line to the configuration (.vmx) file of the virtual machine:

bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE"

The next time you boot up the virtual machine, it will automatically boot into the BIOS. This configuration option then reverts

If you are installing Microsoft Windows Vista from multiple installation disks, Windows Easy Install does not work.

To install Vista from multiple installation disks, use the standard installation: in the New Virtual Machine Assistant, when the Windows Easy Install panel is displayed, deselect Use Easy Install and click Continue to proceed with the standard installation.

Using iSight in Mac OS X versions lower than 10.4.8 after using it in a virtual machine might require shutting down and restarting the host machine.

VMware Fusion does not support Mac OS X versions lower than 10.4.8. After disconnecting the built-in iSight camera from a Windows XP virtual machine, you might experience issues with corrupted video when using the camera in Mac OS X versions 10.4.7 and lower.

If this occurs, shut down your host machine and turn it back on to reset your iSight camera. Rebooting is not sufficient to completely reset the iSight camera. To avoid this problem, upgrade your Mac OS X system software to version 10.4.9 or higher.

0 Kudos