VMware Cloud Community
DumbassMike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converter thinks that a Vitual PC image is powered or suspended eventhough it isn't

I'm using Converter 3.03. Once I select a Windows Server 2003 Virtual PC 2007 image I get a dialog that states, "Unable to convert a victual machine while it is powered on or suspended. Shut Down and power off the virtual machine before converting it." The VPC image is neither powered on nor suspended. I'm running on Windows Vista 64-bit SP1. The guest VPC image is 32-bit.

Anyone know how to get past this?

Thanks,

mike

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
paragsha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Check if xxxxxx.vsv file is present in the same folder as xxxxxx.vmc file (If present, delete it). Also use filemon (or similiar tool) to make sure that no other application has a handle open to the .vmc file. If both these checks pass and you still have the problem, please upload converter logs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
paragsha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Check if xxxxxx.vsv file is present in the same folder as xxxxxx.vmc file (If present, delete it). Also use filemon (or similiar tool) to make sure that no other application has a handle open to the .vmc file. If both these checks pass and you still have the problem, please upload converter logs.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

workaround: If you can power this VM on, simply install converter inside the running VM and convert it as you would convert a physical machine.

DumbassMike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep, there was an old corrupted vsv file. Deleted that and the converter ran. Thanks for the advice.

Now I'm running into another issue. Converter processes but at the end the VMware Agent throws an unknown error. Same thing after a couple of attempts. I'm running out of time on this project and will likely need to stick with Virtual Server (ugh - not looking good for the project). If there's time I'll circle back to get more data afterwards. Customer seems to think Microsoft Hyper-V is worth looking at though...

0 Kudos
DumbassMike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmmm.... Hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks,

mike

0 Kudos