VMware Cloud Community
infuseweb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converter stuck at 2%

Trying to figure out why P2Ving a WIn2K3 Std server that has a small hard drive (15GB, only 7GB used) keeps hanging up at 2% (cloning source volume c: into the target virtual machine). It keeps saying In Progress, but never finishes. Anyone know what could hang it up like that?

This is a Dell PE 1850 being converted. I uninstalled Dell OpenManage before the conversion.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jackpal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I thought I was having the same problem. You really have to be patient with this. I had one machine sitting at 22% for over an hour. In frustration I minimized the console and started on some other stuff. When I came back to it and brought the window back up it all refreshed. You may have noticed the same behavior on the perfomance tabs. That is, you have to hit the refresh button on the tool bar to get up to date data. There is no way to refresh the progress meters so you just need to be patient. At least thats my take on the whole thing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello,

1) Error on disk - Run chkdisk

2) Services interrupting the process - shutdown services that are not required like antivirus

3) VSS service not running - converter uses VSS

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
Virtual_Whale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is not enough information in order to understand what the problem is

What version of converter you are using?

What is you destination is it VC / ESX or standalone?

Are you converting locally or remotely I mean where is the converter installed?

what is the account you are using to access you machine local or domain administrator?

Do you have any RAID in place software or Hardware?

The 2 % means it ether reading the source or communicating with the destination, I'm wondering if you can attaché the log file to your updates go to file export converter logs this will produce a zip file attach it .

0 Kudos
infuseweb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It has actually now gone beyond 2%, but it is only at 17% and has been going for at least 3 or 4 hours. Says there's 20 hours left, which doesn't seem right for a 15GB hard drive with only 7 or 8 GB of data on it. I've done conversions much larger that took less time. Strange.

I'm using the latest version of converter, 3.0.2, installed locally on the box.

Anyway, destination is an ESX server managed by VC. I am converting directly to the ESX server itself. The account is the administrator account. I disabled a number of the running services before starting. VSS is running. The server is configured in RAID1, hardware.

0 Kudos
Virtual_Whale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As long as it's still running and there is no failure buddy just wait till it finish the converter is just an application will inherit the problems of the source machine, if you would like to speed it up do a defragmentation on the source this will speed up the transfer rate also if you set the Ethernet from auto negotiate to fixed 100Mbps or 1Gbps if it available, my recommendation if you have plenty of time just leave it till it finish.

jackpal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I thought I was having the same problem. You really have to be patient with this. I had one machine sitting at 22% for over an hour. In frustration I minimized the console and started on some other stuff. When I came back to it and brought the window back up it all refreshed. You may have noticed the same behavior on the perfomance tabs. That is, you have to hit the refresh button on the tool bar to get up to date data. There is no way to refresh the progress meters so you just need to be patient. At least thats my take on the whole thing.

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

That is very slow. The longest I have seen was 50Gig took 3hrs. There must still be a lot of disk activity on the system or VSS is heavily loaded due to other shapshots causing the VSS process to go very slowly. A heavily fragged drive would also go fairly slow.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
infuseweb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah, I agree. It shouldn't take nearly that long. Maybe 30 mins to an hour at most based on past experience. The strange thing is nothing is going on on the box. It's sitting idle. Go figure.

Well, had to start all over again due to an unrelated issue. I have another identical box and we'll see how long that one takes. If that goes quick then something is obviously weird on the one box.

0 Kudos
rob_steele
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did you ever figure out what it was ? We are having the same problem on a couple boxes.

0 Kudos
jackpal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well my problem ended up being the refresh as I described but the length of time it took to do the conversion was due to a slow disk array. Eventually things converted but they took between 3-5 hours per VM and I had to do one at a time or the whole process would time out. Each VM was between 20-30 gig each converted directly from a VMware Server 103 machine.

0 Kudos
infuseweb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It was just a matter of waiting a REALLY long time in my case. I'm not sure why, but eventually after letting it run overnight it completed ok. Didn't have the issue on the identical other physical conversion so I'm not sure what the real difference was.

0 Kudos
VMAufty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I was reading this thread because I had a similar problem.

I'm converting a Dell notebook with Win XP Pro SP2. 60GB drive. 8% free.

I am doing it from the physical machine to a firewire external drive.

I have all virus checkers, etc. off.

I get to 6% and then I get a FAIL. It says "Unknown error"

I don't know what VSS is or how to tell if it is running.

Can you help me?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Virtual_Whale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i'm wondiring if you can upload the log files so i can review it

on the converter application menu

File > export logs this will creat a ZIP file can you attache it to your reply.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you are converting the physical machine with converter installed to another "helper" machine then the log package will not include all the logs.

For remote conversions, please note that the actual agent logs are located on the physical machine you are converting:

C:\Windows\Temp\vmware-temp\vmware-converter-*.log

0 Kudos