VMware Cloud Community
DGI_Drift
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converter stops at 1% with Platform-specific error 2338

Hi

I'm trying to P2V a Windows 2003 Server into my vCenter 5.1 enviroment.

Using Converter Standalone version 5.1.0

All ports is open i firewalls, but still I get this error:

FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion:

'Platform-specific error 2338'

I attach a log file here, so if someone can help to figure out what is causing the error, I appreciate that:)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

When selecting a host in an automated DRS cluster, it is the vCenter server that makes the decision which ESX host in the cluster to use; if it is a manual DRS or non-DRS cluster, you can select the specific host. The user visible difference is that in the latter case there is an additional drop-down box for host selection.

Actually, this is a kind of user experience bug, because that difference in behavior is not clearly stated. The guide mentions it on p.49, but it is not clear cut either.

Regards,

Plamen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

In you case converter-agent.log, stored on physical machine, is most important. Check for error in this log or upload it.

However most common situation is that phisycal machine can not access ESX host at port 902, check this first.

HTH

0 Kudos
DGI_Drift
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answer.

I know port 902 is open for the host I am choosing for P2V.

But when I look in the converter-agent.log as you said, it fails to connect to a host, but it is a different host than I choose in the wizard!

It seem if I choose host 1 (which the port 902 is open) it seems to choose a random host instead of using the one I choose.

It has to be a bug!

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sounds like a bug Smiley Happy Could you upload log bundle? (or send me as PM)

Try to convert with latest Converter 5.5

HTH

0 Kudos
DGI_Drift
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have sent you a PM with log files.

I will try to install 5.5 now:)

0 Kudos
DGI_Drift
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It has to be an bug!!

Have upgraded to Converter 5.5, but still it randomly select any host in the cluster.

When I open port 902 to all host in the cluster everything works fine.

Strange!

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

When selecting a host in an automated DRS cluster, it is the vCenter server that makes the decision which ESX host in the cluster to use; if it is a manual DRS or non-DRS cluster, you can select the specific host. The user visible difference is that in the latter case there is an additional drop-down box for host selection.

Actually, this is a kind of user experience bug, because that difference in behavior is not clearly stated. The guide mentions it on p.49, but it is not clear cut either.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
DGI_Drift
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answer Smiley Happy

DRS is enabled on the cluster, and that is the reason why it randomly select an host!?

So if I want to just open port 902 to one ESXi host, I need to set DRS to manual or disable it? Or else open port 902 for all host in the cluster (as I have done now Smiley Happy )

Thanks for clearing it out for me Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Well, it's not exactly random 🙂 DRS has some algorithm to choose a host where to provision a new VM. In some environments this choice may look predictable, in others it may look random (I don't know the algorithm by the way)

We should write about this peculiarity in Converter's documentation; there is a bug filed about it.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos