VMware Cloud Community
whositwhatnow
Contributor
Contributor

Converter standalone stalls at 1% due to username/password

Hello,

I'm attempting to do a hot P2V linux.  I get coonected, machine creates new vm, boots but when asking for helper password it fails attempting to login with helper login, and password saying not found.   Then get message vmacore application loop.

Can anyone assist?

Where do i enter helper login/password

I'm using standalone app on windows.

26 Replies
arathore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Assign an IP to the destination vm with correct subnet DNS and then from Vcenter choose correct VLan,

In my case I was converting Linux 4.x using converter 6.x

let me know if this helps

0 Kudos
shifu_master
Contributor
Contributor

RussellArdoThanks RussellArdo!

I had the same problem which was solved by the steps you mentioned

0 Kudos
renss78
Contributor
Contributor

The issue does not have anything to do with the login-screen. The login-screen always appears even when the process is going alright

The real issue lies within the fact that it is stuck at 1 percent.

To fix this:

Delete your old converter task.

You have to assign an IP address to the helper (it is a piece of software which communicates with the converter at the esx side), you can do this during the creation of the convert task.

MattOPC
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

I also came across this issue and the solution was slightly different.

Problem: The DHCP address being assigned to the converter helper could not be reached from my PC running the vCenter Converter software.  This is in an environment where multiple VLANs are configured within the cluster.  In my case, the first (alphabetical) network cannot be accessed by workstations.

Solution: When setting up the conversion task, under Options and then Networks, ensure the network selected is one that will receive an accessible IP address.  Note that if you are already looking at the console view of the virtual machine (converter helper) as it boots, it will still display the converter login prompt.  No entry here is required.

Cheers,

Matt

19AjaS75
Contributor
Contributor

In my converter version 6.1.1 I had the same problem I turn off IP6 ( helper set IP6 address if dhcp don't push IP4 address ) and set static IP4 address for helper and work fine ( in settings menu ).

0 Kudos
Mig29Fulcrum
Contributor
Contributor

if anyone wants to login in helper VM with source machine credentials, use that -

Enabling Logging in to Helper Virtual Machine During Conversion of Powered-On Linux Sources with Con...

0 Kudos
mikheili23
Contributor
Contributor

hi! i have some problem. but i can not acces in linuxbox. what is the user credentials?  i try user: user pass: password  but no access.

0 Kudos