VMware Cloud Community
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Converter "“insufficient permissions to access the source”"

I’m trying to convert my physical laptop to a VM using Vmware Converter 6.2 but it keeps failing with “insufficient permissions to access the source” which is odd as I’m using my account which is a member of the local administrator’s group and the target is an SMB share on my desktop shared out to “everyone” with full permissions.

I made sure I can brose that share and create files (which worked) and then I even gave the users group full rights over the same folder, but it didn’t change anything. UAC is off on both machines. Not sure what I’m missing. I’ve attached the log.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

OS and version?

Tried the actual administrator account?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's disabled but I can enable it and try later. The user account I attempted to use is a member of the admin group already though

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same result. Very odd as my user is a member of the local admin group and a ran the vmware converter app as admin. 

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey @pstoric,

Have you also trying disabling UAC from the registry? https://community.microfocus.com/adtd/sws-qc/f/itrc-895/285431/alm-support-tip-how-to-disable-uac-fr...

For example, with Windows 2008 R2 this was a requirement even if you disabled the UAC from the GUI. It is worth to give it a try.

Remember to reboot.

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

i have looked at the logs - there are many warnings:

UAC is enabled

Firewall enabled

Antivirus enabled

Did you start converter as administrator ?

and the permission error seems to be on the target site

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can browse the SMB share and create/modify files without any issues. "everyone" has full permissions

UAC is off on the source machine

For AV, I'm using windows defender, no third party AV

Yes converter was started as admin

So you think it's the target? That's odd as it shows "FAILED: Insufficient permissions to access the source". Wouldn't the source be the machine I'm trying to convert?

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

2021-06-27T11:10:14.005-04:00 error vmware-converter-worker[05368] [Originator@6876 sub=task-1] No permissions to access \\192.168.1.53\dump\DESKTOP-7001FCV\DESKTOP-7001FCV.vmx. Error FileIO error: Permission denied for file : \\192.168.1.53\dump\DESKTOP-7001FCV\DESKTOP-7001FCV.vmx.

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm stumped.

2021-07-30_9-25-12.jpg

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

again: check for UAC disabled in the actual logs

or give full access for the user you are using instead of everyone

always use UNC-path, no drive letter

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I gave the pstoric user explicit permissions on the target folder, double checked to make sure UAC was off on both source and destination computers (it was), and I'm already using the UNC path.

I'm going to try changing the target just an external disk to see if that makes a difference.

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Setting the destination target to and external drive resulted in this error. Some searching online said to uninstall and reinstall VMware converter which I did but no luck so far.

FAILED: A general system error occurred:
Missing Vstor2 driver or not started.

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

vstor2 means that the converter agent is not properly running on the source machine. try to reinstall vmware-converter-agent.exe manually

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did that immediately after but no luck still. 

0 Kudos