VMware Cloud Community
atakacs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Converter problem: unable to obtain hardware information

Folks

Running converter 4.3 against ESXi 4.1

I have multiple VMs running on that server that I would like to convert and no matter which source machine I select I get the error message "Unable to obtain hardware information for the selected machine". Source machines are a mix of windows server 2003, 2008 and 2008R2.

Looking into the converter logs I see this

[#8] [2011-01-30 22:41:41.180 00980 error 'ManagedMachineDataConnectionLogger']

Cannot query source HW info: vmodl.fault.ManagedObjectNotFound

I have looked into the forum for similar problems and the only suggestion I found was to change the machine type before attempting to convert - I tried but no improvement whatsoever.

Any suggestion / pointer most welcome !

0 Kudos
7 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

using Converter against systems that are already VMs means you want to acchieve something that can also be done with more reliable procedures.

What do you want to do in the first place ?

0 Kudos
atakacs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well actually I have two goals

1. get a copy of some of those VM in VMware workstation format

2. (less important) was hoping for an easy way to migrate between servers

Smiley Happy

alex

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

#1: Workstation can use ESX-VMs as they are - no need to convert - just copy with FastSCP or datastorebrowser
You can also export via ovf or with vmkfstools

#2 - FastSCP, Trilead VMX-explorer or WinSCP can do that as well

If both ESX have shared storage I copy the vmdks with vmkfstools as that allows full control about the format: thin or thick or ....

atakacs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So in a nutshell you are advising me to forget about converter... not exactly the solution I expected but I will follow your advice.

For some reason FstSCP never worked properly for me (lots of crashes and cryptic error messages) - will give it another try. At the risk of going off topic can you tell me how you use WinSCP with ESXi ? I was under the impression there are missing pieces on the server side.

Thanks

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

I'd get hold of Fast SCP from Veeam and copy the vmdks.

Once you've done this, you can use vmkfstools to export the disks for Workstation

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
atakacs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I never managed to have it working reliably but haven't tried the lattest release. Will give it another try.

Still somewhat suprised that all advices are to avoid converter at all cost Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> Once you've done this, you can use vmkfstools to export the disks for  Workstation

??? - once you have done what ? - copied the VM to Workstation ?
that would be a bit late to use vmkfstools ....

Workstation can use ESX-VMs as they are

0 Kudos