VMware Cloud Community
Beachbum26
Contributor
Contributor

Converter on Vista - hot clone XP?

Hello - can I install Converter on a Vista workstation and migrate (hot clone) a Windows XP source to run as a VM on the Vista machine?

I was planning on migrating XP and running it on Vista either with the Player or VM Workstation.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Vista is not supported by Converter 3.0 at this time. You can try installing Converter on Vista and run it from there to attach to your XP machine, but you may be better off installing Converter directly on your XP machine to convert and create a new VM.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Vista is not supported by Converter 3.0 at this time.

You can try installing Converter on Vista and run it

from there to attach to your XP machine, but you may

be better off installing Converter directly on your

XP machine to convert and create a new VM.

I'm having a problem with my MSDN Vista Ultimate install, whereas I can't use converter to create a VM of it - which is what I want to do so I can use Linux as my host OS and have my work VM and home VM sit on the host.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Not only is Converter 3.0.1 not supported running on Vista, but it also does not convert Vista at this time.

0 Kudos
ryan_gallagher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, Converter 3.0.1 does not have "official" support for running on Vista. However, Converter embedded in Workstation 6.0 does have official support for this.

So the scenario of converting an XP remote system from Converter running on Vista is officially supported by the WS 6.0 release. (The scenario of converting a Vista machine from Converter installed on any OS is in no way supported on any current release.)

0 Kudos