VMware Cloud Community
pgm554
Contributor
Contributor

Converter issues with SBS 2003

I have tried to convert my Dell PowerEdge 2600 over to a VM using several different methods,all of them have failed in one way or another.

My server is a Dell PowerEdge 2600 ,SBS 2003 Premium with all patches running Exchange server.

Hardware spec is 3 gigs ram ,Adaptec 29160/Quantum 36/72 SCSI tape drive,Perc SCSI RAID with RAID 5 with 5 36 gig drives and 1 hot spare.

I also have an eSATA Silcone Graphics controller attached to an external Seagate 320 gb hard disk that is used for Live State(Advanced Server 3.0 latest build) image backups that run at 1 hour incremental schedules.

Two main volumes C: and 😧 with the G: volume used a disk to disk backup

My latest go was to use the latest converter tool (3.0.2u1-62456) and try to create a VM using Backup Exec LiveState file (.sv2i)and it failed with unable to find out what the OS was.

Using the WS 6 importer also fails.Same error (unable to determine OS)

So I tried installing the converter on the server and saving the VM out to the G drive.

I was only converting the C and D ,not the G.

It failed at 29 %.

06:11:57 PM Step 1 : Connecting to VMware Converter Agent on localhost

06:11:57 PM Step 2 : Creating target virtual machine and importing data

06:11:57 PM Configuring parameters for the target virtual machine...

06:11:57 PM Creating target virtual machine...

06:12:00 PM Taking a snapshot of the volume...

06:12:02 PM Cloning source volume d: into target virtual machine...

07:02:49 PM* ERROR: Unknown error returned by VMware Converter Agent*

Attached is the logfile .

I see an error Image processing task has failed with PlatformError fault: 21

Addendum:

This is from the Server event log and it co-incides with the unknown error.

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80070057 from line 64 of d:\nt\com\complus\src\events\tier1\subscription.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
pgm554
Contributor
Contributor

I compared the troublelog with the event log and disabled the Norton Livestate job from running.

It appears as if VSS was being used by both programs and causing a conflict.

The job appears to have completed.

0 Kudos