VMware Cloud Community
dlf
Contributor
Contributor

Converter hangs on local PC

I purchased Fusion with the specific purpose of cloning a PC to run on my Mac. I tried running Converter on the PC (Thinkpad, 34GB HD, 1GB DRAM, XP sp2). I saved the VM to an external USB drive (80GB iPod). Every time I tried to run converter, it reached to 99% and hung, eventually giving the "(application not responding)" message in the title bar. Then nothing on PC would work and the only option was to hard restart. I attempted to open the resulting files with Fusion but got the message "Image file not locked." If I try to configure the file Converter hangs when it gets to 86%, same as before requiring a hard restart, and I get the same error message if I try to open it with Fusion. I was wondering if anyone had any input on how to get this thing working.

I can't run Converter from the Mac because even if I boot into Windows using Bootcamp, Converter will not see the other PC (I can see it as a shared volume from Windows but Converter will not connect). I can not save the VM to the Mac for the same reason - I can log on with Windows but Converter will not recognize it. I can save the VM file to a portable drive but as noted above, Converter hangs and brings down the whole OS.

This really demonstrates why my main OS is Mac in the first place.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
dlf
Contributor
Contributor

How about something helpful?

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

How about something helpful?

I'm trying to keep others from posting the same advice twice so that you don't have to read the same thing from multiple people. Since there was already a post from Stevecassidy that you had not responded to yet, it was not known if you had attempted anymore work on your problem or not.

You can also be helpful and choose just one thread to post to. You put your results of what you attempted in the other post but have not copied it here. That only makes it more confusing to anyone that wants to help.

0 Kudos
clapperboy2010
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Dif,

how were you able to get it to save to an external drive? I can only find the option in the Wizard to save to a network location, which requires other VMware apps to be listening.

0 Kudos
dlf
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I was able to save the files to an external drive: an iPod. Unfortunately, it ever finished the job and I ended up with a corrupted file.

0 Kudos