evilclive
Contributor
Contributor

Converter hanging at around 10%

Hi -

I'm trying to convert one of our systems to VM. I did a proof of concept a couple of months ago, and the conversion process went perfectly - machine created, worked first time. I'm now having another go for final testing before we do the cutover of the live system.

Trouble is, this time the Converter is hanging. I think it's still transferring stuff, it's just doing it very slowly, of the order of a few k a second, and it's saying 1 day 8 hours of conversion left - this will carry on growing!

I've got the export logs - I'm a bit reluctant to post all of them since I probably want to anonymise them somewhat if posting on a public site, but there are samples below.

Could anybody tell me why this should be slowing down in this way?

cheers,

clive

(converter-server)

User agent is 'VMware-client/4.0.0'

HTTP Response: Client: NeedsContentLength: false UnderstandsChunking: true CanKeepAlive: true (PresetContentLength -1)

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 454 bytes)

RecordOp ASSIGN: info.progress, task-4

Keep alive notification sent

Waiting on channel task-3

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 1289 bytes)

HTTP Response: Client: NeedsContentLength: false UnderstandsChunking: true CanKeepAlive: true (PresetContentLength -1)

Generating Converter.Server log bundle with no agent logs.

(converter-agent)

#16] HTTP Response: Complete (processed 838 bytes)

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 838 bytes)

DISKLIB-LIB : numIOs = 200000 numMergedIOs = 0 numSplitIOs = 0

ConvertTask updates, state: 1, percentage: 11, xfer rate (Bps): 129055

RecordOp ASSIGN: info, task-3

Cloning progress changed 12

ConvertTask updates, state: 1, percentage: 11, xfer rate (Bps): 10157

RecordOp ASSIGN: info, task-3

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 1167 bytes)

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 1165 bytes)

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 837 bytes)

DISKLIB-LIB : numIOs = 250000 numMergedIOs = 0 numSplitIOs = 0

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vkaltchev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Clive,

Unfortunately it is very hard to tell anything without the full logs. I suggest you do as much cleanup on them as you feel is safe and post them.

As an alternative you could play more with the conversion options and more specifically with the data storage options.

Cheers,

Vik

0 Kudos
evilclive
Contributor
Contributor

I've got various converter-gui logs, and the agent and server - presumably I just need to post the agent and server bits?

0 Kudos
vkaltchev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Technically... yes.

0 Kudos