VMware Cloud Community
jaherr-raritan
Contributor
Contributor

Converter fails with UFAD_SYSTEM_ERROR (vmodl.fault.InvalidRequest) or sysimage.fault.NfcConnectionFault depending on POV

VMware Server v1.0.4 on Ubuntu

VMware Converter v3.0.1 build 44840 on XPsp2

Multi-partition Linux Image

Useless error messages in the logs

vmware-client.log

Remote task VmiImportTask::task completed Cleaning up remote task VmiImportTask::task

Disposing task wrapper for task VmiImportTask::task

Task failed: P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(sysimage.fault.NfcConnectionFault)

Transition from InProgress to Failure requested

Transition succeeded

Job 9 changing state from 1 to 2

Serializing job 9

Archiving job to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\VMware\p2v30\jobs\00000009.xml

Raising event 2 for job 9

Raising event 4 for job 9

Raising event 6 for job 9

Shutting down VMDB service...

Unregistering callback...

...done

vmware-converter.log

Hostagent session established for copying to or from remote disk polaris-1106-jah-200804141631/polaris-1106-jah-200804141631.vmdk

NfcNetTcpRead: bRead: 0 err: 0

NfcNet_Recv: requested 264, recevied only 0 bytes

NfcGetMessage: recv failed:

NfcTruncateRemoteDisk: Did not receive PUTFILE_DONE message: got 1

NfcTruncateRemoteDisk failed, err = 3

DISKLIB-DSCPTR: Opened : "redacted-f001.vmdk" 0 (0x1e)

DISKLIB-DSCPTR: Opened : "redacted-f002.vmdk" 0 (0x1e)

DISKLIB-DSCPTR: Opened : "redacted-f003.vmdk" 0 (0x1e)

DISKLIB-DSCPTR: Opened : "redacted-f004.vmdk" 0 (0x1e)

DISKLIB-DSCPTR: Opened : "redacted-f005.vmdk" 0 (0x1e)

DISKLIB-DSCPTR: Opened : "redacted-f006.vmdk" 0 (0x1e)

DISKLIB-DSCPTR: Opened : "redacted-f007.vmdk" 0 (0x1e)

DISKLIB-DSCPTR: Opened : "redacted-f008.vmdk" 0 (0x1e)

DISKLIB-LINK : Opened 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Copy of redacted\redacted\redacted.vmdk' (0x1e): twoGbMaxExtentFlat, 31457280 sectors / 15360 Mb.

DISKLIB-LIB : Opened "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Copy of redacted\redacted\redacted.vmdk" (flags 0x1e). 03459DC8

BlockLevelCloning::task step "copy local->remote" destroyed File transfer failed. Dst error: Network error -- Failed to send complete message: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine. BlockLevelCloning::task: Image processing task has failed with MethodFault::Exception: sysimage.fault.NfcConnectionFault

BlockLevelCloning::task: SetState to error Remote task BlockLevelCloning::task completed

Got an update from CloneTask::task Got an update from BlockLevelCloning::task Cleaning up remote task BlockLevelCloning::task Waiting for updates from CloneTask::task

(Re)Start waiting for property updates from CloneTask::task NfcNetTcpWrite: bWritten: -1 err: 10053 NfcNet_Send: requested 264, sent only 8 bytes NfcSendMessage: send failed: Nfc_PutFile: SENDING_FILE msg failed NfcNetTcpWrite: bWritten: -1 err: 10053 NfcNet_Send: requested 264, sent only 8 bytes NfcSendMessage: send failed: Disposing task wrapper for task BlockLevelCloning::task object explicitly disposed: BlockLevelCloning::task BlockLevelCloning::task being destroyed CloneTask::task step "Cloning into disk polaris-1106-jah-200804141631/polaris-1106-jah-200804141631.vmdk" failed

Reporting image processing task failure for task BlockLevelCloning::task

ImageProcessingTask FAILED. Fault name: sysimage.fault.NfcConnectionFault

CloneTask::task step "Cloning into disk polaris-1106-jah-200804141631/polaris-1106-jah-200804141631.vmdk" destroyed CloneTask::task step "cloning target disks" destroyed

Cloning failed!

CloneTask::task: Image processing task has failed with MethodFault::Exception: sysimage.fault.NfcConnectionFault

Any thoughts?

Image works on VMware Server and player.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jaherr-raritan
Contributor
Contributor

gah, next time I'll preview what it does to my logs...

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am not exactly sure what you are convertig ... a multi partition linux physical machine?

Please note:

http://www.vmware.com/support/converter/doc/releasenotes_conv302update1.html#guestos

jaherr-raritan
Contributor
Contributor

Yes a multi-partition linux system, but I built it in VMwareServer. I'll go parse the release notes and get back to this thread. I didn't see anything that applied (like hardware incompatibility or RHEL5).

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Why do you want to use Converter ?

If you already have a SCSI-disk - upload with FastSCP and create a new VM around this.

If you have an IDE-disk - your best choice probably is rebuilding it for SCSI

0 Kudos
jaherr-raritan
Contributor
Contributor

Frankly, I inherited this issue because it was part of a process for building a reusable VM. In the long term, I am reworking this process. In the short term, while working on the issue, a team-mate tried the same image on the same converter, but deployed it to a different version of the ESX server and it worked fine. I would love to understand the cause of this problem, because I am working to make an image (or maybe images now) for use on as many different VMware systems as possible.

The process works on an ESX Server v 3.0.1 build 32039

The process fails on an ESX Server v 3.5.0 build 64607

Does this help narrow the culprit?

Thanks,

Jason

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If it works to ESX 301 but not ESX 350 due to NFC (network file copy) errors, then I would compare all networking configurations between the 2 ESX boxes. For example, compare IRQ settings (look for conflicts especially on the NICs) as well as duplex settings. Also compare network devices between the physical and the ESX destination for odd configurations and duplex settings. you can also try a different lun to see if that helps. If you have local storage configured with /vmfs, try that as well for testing purposes.

jaherr-raritan
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, so I tried a few things and came back with some interesting results.

1. The conversion will not work if the conversion is done through the 2.5.0 VirtualCenter, but does fine on the local and SAN storage of the 3.0.1 ESX server when the ESX is used directly. The 3.5.0 ESX server has never worked.

2. There was a difference in the duplex configuration and hardware types. But once I fixed them it remained the same. There seems to be no IRQ conflicts. At least none shown in ifconfig.

0 Kudos
qa-teste
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, so Jason called in and talked to "theanykey" via the tech support line. The converter was outdated, and upgrading it resolved the issue. In the meantime, I noted that no VM image would convert on the systems in question until the converter was upgraded. Now all is well.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos