VMware Cloud Community
jaganpjames
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Converter fails at creating target VM

When using my user id to connect to VC and create a VM directly, it does as it is supposed to, but when i am using the same user id, to connect to VC, using the converter wizard,(It allows me to complete the wizard, answer all the questions,), but when conversion starts, it fails at 1 %, and throws an error, of "unknown error returned by VMware converter agent" . The point of failure is creating target virtual machine.

The difference i have noted is, when the user id i am using is having admin role, it works perfectly, but when the account used is moved to power machine user, it fails . So is there something like, only admin role accounts can only be used for conversions? or some specific roles are there which can be used for coverter users.

I want to create a user group to be used exclusively for conversions, for which i dont want to add those accounts to have admin roles.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Check credentials and privileges

• Ensure that each username can login to all systems (you may want to create one admin account on all systems to simply the testing)

• Ensure the user has permission to create a VM on the target system

• Ensure the user has access to LUNs on the target system

• Ensure the user has write privilege on target system storage devices

• Verify that the user can create a new VM on each target system from VirtualCenter

Your Virtual Centcer user (if applicable) needs the following privileges:

• Allow ReadOnly

• Disk Access

• Allow Virtual

• Machine Files

• Download

• Inventory of VMs

0 Kudos