VMware Cloud Community
klausal2004
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converter failes on 97% with Windows NT4.0

I tried several times to convert a windows NT 4.0 physical machine into a virtual machine, but prozess failed with the following message:

"[2009-02-06 10:43:20.018 'P2V' 177 error] Task failed: P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(sysimage.fault.ImageProcessingTaskFault)

Transition from CancelRequested to Failure requested

Transition succeeded

Job 3 changing state from 4 to 5

Serializing job 3

Archiving job to C:\WINNT\Profiles\albrecht\Anwendungsdaten\VMware\p2v30\jobs\00000003.xml

Raising event 2 for job 3

Raising event 4 for job 3

Shutting down VMDB service...

Unregistering callback...

...done"

Always the same P2VError! Can anybody help? I really would like to rescue my old WinNT and transfer it to the Mac, but it seems to be tricky.

Thanks from germany,

Klaus

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your procedure with Acronis is fine - you just miss the final step:

reconfigure drivers with Converter - there for open Converter and point to the vmx-file of the newly imported Acronis-image

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
abufa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, Klausal2004.

I don't know if you are trying this with the windows nt powered up or down.

If you read the issues or supported terms of the Vmware Converter, there isn't support for hot cloning of Windows Nt4.

Please, revise this link: http://www.vmware.com/support/converter/doc/releasenotes_conv40.html.

Regards.

-

Oscar

----------------------------------------- Oscar http://www.aprendeinformaticaconmigo.com
klausal2004
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you abufa!

Yes, my NT was powered on. Dos that mean, I have to convert the phsical machine powered off over network? That would be possible, but how should I acces the computer, if it is shut down?

Sorry, it seems I have to understand some basics

Klaus

0 Kudos
lholling
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You could Ghost the server and then import the Ghost image using vConvert.

Leonard...

-

Don't forget if the answers help, award points

---- Don't forget if the answers help, award points
klausal2004
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I allready created an image with Acronis True Image and tried to restore it direct with vmware fusion on the Mac by creating a new virtual machine and using the Acronis rescue CD as an installation system-source. Then, Acronis started and I could restore winNT from the before created image on a network-device. But the result wasn´t succesful: WinNT started with a blue sreen on in the VMWare environment.

Do you think, I should try the same procedure with Norton ghost, or did I got the wrong method?

Thanks for your help.

klaus

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your procedure with Acronis is fine - you just miss the final step:

reconfigure drivers with Converter - there for open Converter and point to the vmx-file of the newly imported Acronis-image

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
klausal2004
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank You, that was the problem. Win NT is now running, but unfortunately without a working network device. In the syslog of NT I got the error messages:

1. El90x1 : The ressources could not be reserverd for the necessary action

2. "Der Start vom 3Com 3C90x Adapter BC Driver ist mit folgendem Fehler fehlgeschlagen:

Ein an das System angeschlossenes Gerät funktioniert nicht". sorry it´s german: The 3Com 3C90x Adapter must be the device for the network card, because the name of this card in the physical PC was 3C90x by 3Com.

The message means:

The driver failed because the card is not functioning.

greetings from Nürnberg, germany

0 Kudos
R-Sommer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Your VM NIC is different from your physical NIC, that means you have to change to driver. So please install AMD pcnet within NT and reconfigure its setting. Freili.

0 Kudos
xe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
klausal2004
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok, it seems to be a little bit tricky:

To R-Sommer: I don´t know, how to get the installation file into the virtual machine. Because there is no network connection to the extermal world, i can´t acces the rest of the mac too, nor any USB-Advice or CD. So I can´t get anything inside my NT-Virtualisation, or do you have an Idea?

To xe: I tried to follow the steps of the KB from Your link, but the last step is not possible, because there is no folder:

D:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\vmxnet\winnt

I didn´t get any virtual CD-Drive at all. Step 1 to 9 succeded, but I think after step 10 nothing has changed.

0 Kudos
klausal2004
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi R-Sommer,

I found a way to get files into the virtual NT. Now the remaining question is: which AMD PCnet-product should I exactly install. I have the feeling, there are a huge amount of different drivers, utilities and so on. Could you send me a fitting link?

Thanks very much for your help Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
R-Sommer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There is no need to transfer files to your VM, because you can use the original driver of NT which is called "AMD PCnet PCI".

You're welcome. Hint: If you find any comment or answer helpful, you can send point to any member you want.

0 Kudos
xe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You must get the CD-ROM drive in the virtual machine working before you can reinstall the network drivers from the CD. Make sure a virtual CD-ROM drive is assigned to the virtual machine and follow steps 1 - 9 in the article to restore the CD-ROM drive. (You MUST RESTART before the drive will start working).

The next step is to install VMware Tools. Once complete the network card may still not work, manually install the card using the driver files either installed on the hard drive or the drivers on the VMware Tools CD. (I think there's a mistake there in the instructions...) This will install the VMware Accelerated network adapter. Only use the AMD PC NET drivers if you are unable to get the VMware drivers installed, this REQUIRES the Windows NT Install CD-ROM. Reapply the service pack if you are using the AMD PC NET drivers BEFORE rebooting.

0 Kudos
klausal2004
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank You,

I succeded in installing the Network driver AMD PCNet PCI from the Win NT installation CD. Tomorrow in my office, I can try how it works. Perhaps I have to run the sp again.

At the moment I can´t test the network.

Than you all!!

0 Kudos
klausal2004
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank You,

that was the information, I missed.

Now network device is installed and I will test it tomorrow.

0 Kudos
R-Sommer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You have to reapply SP6a, that's important.

Please don't forget marking your question answered and awarding points if you like.

0 Kudos
Jesus165
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

good evening

I have a problem with trying to convert the vmware virtualize a Win NT 4.0 with SP6 but reaches 97% mark and an error

I wonder what that was revised to overcome this detail and make the team virtualising

0 Kudos
Jesus165
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello

Good day

Since the installation of SP6a and I remains the same mistake 97%

This is the error

Skipping boot.ini 10:58:20 AM update ...

10:58:20 PM Adjusting drive letter mappings ...

10:59:00 PM Step 3: Preparing target virtual machine

11:00:03 AM ERROR: Unknown error returned by VMware Converter Agent

Note: VMware Converter Agent logs can be found on 15.10.166.224 at C: \ WINNT \ vmware-temp \ vmware-converter *

VMware Converter Client logs on this computer can be exported, or found at "C: \ Documents and Settings \ SJBLL \ Local Settings \ Temp \ 2 \ vmware-temp \ vmware-client *"

VMware Converter logs are stored on a temporary basis, and should be retrieved as soon as possible

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Jesus,

Please post as a new thread. This is marked as answered, therefore nobody will check it.

Regards,

EvilOne

0 Kudos
Jesus165
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

good evening

I see why they can support in trying to virtualize an OS WIN NT 4.0 with SP6a reaches only up to 97% and sends me the following errors

ERROR: Unknown error returned by VMware Converter Agent

Task failed: P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(sysimage.fault.ReconfigFault)

Transition from InProgress to Failure requested

Transition succeeded

LOG Machine Fisica

ImageProcessingTask FAILED. Fault name: sysimage.fault.OsVersionNotFound

0 Kudos