VMware Cloud Community
clarkr
Contributor
Contributor

Converter error

I am new to the new vmserver 2 beta and the new converter. i have installed both of them on a new build. It has 2003 enterprise and it is fully pached up.I have included a network tools summary of the box. I have also included a .bmp of the error along with both of the log files. I can tell you that the server has NTFS and has almost 66 GB's free. any help?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to Converter forum. (Seemed to be more of a Converter issue than a Server 2 beta issue).

0 Kudos
KyawH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looks like you've got VSS turned on or some other imaging process such as Acronis going on. Stop all the unnecessary processes on the source machine including AV process, any application that might be running including SQL. If you have configured static IP on the server, stop DHCP client service as well as DNS services since you don't need them.

Also make sure the username/password you provide during the P2V process has admin rights on the source machine.

Try again and please post back result on this forum. Also indicate if the solution was answered or not. Good luck.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Impersonating user clarkr-adm

Should be the local administrator for best practice

host = "deptapps1"

Should install converter directly onto your NT4 machine and convert locally for best practice

vmPath = "
jrmc-vmserver3\Virtual Machines"

Should be a mapped network drive for best practice

Creating snapshot using vss

Shapshot creation failed. driver=vss

Creating snapshot using vsnap

Vsnap does not have admin rights

Snapshotting
.\C: using stcbasic.sys

stcbasic.sys not installed or snapshot creation failed. err=2

Cloning failed!

Image processing task has failed with MethodFault::Exception: sysimage.fault.SnapshotError

SetState to error

ImageProcessingTask FAILED. Fault name: sysimage.fault.SnapshotError

Cloning failed: sysimage.fault.SnapshotError

Removing destination VM

Converter first checks VSS (volume shadow copy service). This assumes OS is 2003 or XP since VSS only exists in 2003 or XP and not 2000 or NT4.

If VSS fails, converter assumes OS is 2000 or NT4 and uses our stcbasic.sys (vstor2-p2v30 service)

Since your OS is NT4 ...

logs indicate “stcbasic.sys not installed or snapshot creation failed”

Ensure you have indeed rebooted the box (mandatory for new services injected into both 2000 and NT4 installs)

Verify you are using the LOCAL administrator (not domain administrator or user clarkr-adm)

Verify service is running: Start->run->cmd  net start stcp2v30

Verify antivirus is disabled (use msconfig to ensure other conflicting/locking apps are also disabled)

Verify no issues found in event logs

This means that the “vsnap does not have admin rights” will ALWAYS exist when converting 2000 or NT4 machines because VSS does not exist within these OS installs.

0 Kudos
SouthEast-Smith
Contributor
Contributor

Usually, if it fails at 2%, it is failing at taking a snapshot of the machine you want to migrate. Check your C: drive free space on it. I see this alot on 2K boxes because they have very little free space on the 4GB drive.

Solution - Free up as much space as possible or use the cold clone ISO, that method does not take a snapshot of the source

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Converter has the following space requirements for installation:

Installer size 30.1MB

Installed files 65MB

Minimum boot drive requirement (if installed on boot drive) 120MB

Minimum boot drive requirement (if installed on another drive) 105MB

For cold cloning with the Converter Boot CD, the source physical machine must have at least 264MB of memory. VMware recommends 364MB of memory

0 Kudos
SouthEast-Smith
Contributor
Contributor

I can't say I understand your response. What are you implying?

0 Kudos
clarkr
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all of the info I will implement these in the next try for

conversion

0 Kudos