VMware Cloud Community
jayhawkintx
Contributor
Contributor

Converter destination VMWare server 2

Trying to run a conversion of a VMware Workstation 5.x image to VMware Server 2. Under the docs I see where Vmware Server 1.X is supported as destination is 2.X not yet supported?

When I try to use VMware server 2 as destination I get host not found. Tried host:8222, get "unknown error generated from client(catchall)

If I try host:8333 converter just closes with no error.

Running latest VMWare converter.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

From what I understand you should use VMWare Workstation 6.x as the target in VMware Converter.

From the VMware Server 2 manual:

If you migrate a virtual machine with new features to Workstation 6.x, all the latest

VMware Server 2 features are supported. However, you cannot migrate the virtual

machine to most other VMware products.

If you select hardware version 4, the virtual machine is compatible with many other

VMware products, including Workstation 5 and 6, ESX 3, and VMware Server 1 and 2.

Tried already?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" answers/replies. Thanks!!

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

jayhawkintx,

Welcome to the VMware Community Forums!

With Converter 3 or 4 you cannot specify VMware Server as a destination. It's just not supported, and was Converter was never intended to use it as a destination.

If you want to run a virtual machine in Server 2.0, power off the virtual machine and move it to the system running server 2.0. Server 2.0 should recognize that you are running a virtual Hardware v4 machine, and run it just fine.

If you want all the new fangled features of Server 2.0, you'll just have to upgrade it to the virtual hardware v7 from the web console.

Regards,

EvilOne

1 - Check the documents

2 - Search the forums

3 - Post Question

And remember to award points to those who assist you.

0 Kudos