VMware Cloud Community
proden20
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Converter and Windows User Rights Assignments

I am attempting to clone some hardened Windows Servers and am getting inconclusive errors when attempting to analyze P2V confidence...."An unknown error has occurred." This does not occur against "normal" Windows configurations. Does anyone have experience with P2V in a STIG environment and what user rights assignments / ACL entries are required for successful P2V?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
geob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have had the same issues, it was usually always related to firewall ports be blocked. Or in some case I have had admins enable the windows firewall service, which also killed the port communications that converter needed. I would statr there, and of course make sure the account being used for analyses has local admin rights, and logon as service.

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

what about cold cloneing ?

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
proden20
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Looking at the target server's security logs, I noticed the vCenter instance of Converter was reverting to old cached credentials (even though I changed them and restarted the service.) Interestingly enough, I installed Converter Starter on a server inside the target domain (my vCenter is in another domain), set "log on as a service" to a vconverter account, and my hot clones were successful.

Don't know why Converter Enterprise was sending the wrong credentials...but I have a workaround.

0 Kudos