VMware Cloud Community
lucheman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Converter and OEM builds of Windows Server 2003

I am planning to virtualize five (5) Windows servers using Vmware Converter Enterprise. I found out today that these servers are running an OEM build of Windows Server 2003 from IBM. When I did a test P2V today on a server running this same OEM build of Windows after starting the VM, a warning was displayed by Windows related to the need to re-activate Windows due to hardware changes, and that the server would fail to operate after three days unless the reactivation was done. I have done some research and found that basically there were two options to fix this issue with virtualizing OEM builds of Windows. The first being to add the following parameter to the .vmx file on the VM: "SMBIOS.reflectHost = TRUE" If that doesn't work the other option being to boot the vm using a volume license cd and doing a repair of Windows. This was a helpful post in regards to this issue: Has anybody else seen this before and know of a better solution?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Please note that the license type you have for your install of windows was designed to request a new license when hardware changed. Your VM was originally using the underlying hardware for where workstation was installed and is not using the underlying hardware of your ESX server. As a result windows wants you to reactivate your license. If we provide you with a method to avoid that, we are in fact assisting you in breaking that license agreement.

What you want is a Volume License. Or simply contact Microsoft (explain its simply a ghost restore to another physical machine) and see if you can get them to reactivate your OS.

http://vmware.com/pdf/VMware_Converter_manual302.pdf (Page 11)

NOTE You cannot move OEM media between physical machines. The license is attached to the server when

purchased from the OEM and cannot be reassigned. Only Retail and Volume Licenses can be reassigned to

new physical servers. If you migrate an OEM image, you need a Windows Server Enterprise or Datacenter

Edition license on the ESX Server to run multiple virtual machines.

Richard_Zimbler
Contributor
Contributor

I went through the same experience myself a couple of months back after "P2V"-ing Dell OEM workstations and HP OEM servers. For the Virtual workstation, I called Microsoft (after the "reactivate online" option failed) and was able to get it validated after speaking with an operator. It took about 15 minutes. For the servers, I knew I would be P2V-ing these physical servers on a monthly basis as part of a DR plan, so I didn't want to have to call MS every month. I tried that local BIOS option config line you mentioned, but that failed. Eventually, I just bit the bullet and ran a repair installation on all my OEM servers and installed a volume license.

0 Kudos
nyoung27
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but for some reason this was the first article that popped up when I was trying to resolve the same issue.  After calling Microsoft support, they pointed me to this article which talks about preserving OEM licenses.

Preserving OEM Pre-Activation when Re-installing Windows Server 2003 R2

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd727762.aspx

The process was:

1. In the activation screen, select activate by Telephone.

2. Change Product Key to the key that matches your edition of Windows.

3. Give the MS rep the Activation ID generated from the new Product Key.

Hope this helps,

Nick

0 Kudos