VMware Cloud Community
grp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converter and Linux Swap

Hi,

why Converter cannot see Linux Swap partitions? I created a VM  with no issues, except for the fact that it does not contain the second  partition of the physical server at all. Here is the original layout. VM contains only the first and the third partition.

# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/cciss/c0d0: 146.8 GB, 146807930880 bytes
255 heads, 32 sectors/track, 35139 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8160 * 512 = 4177920 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1   *           1          26      106064   83  Linux
/dev/cciss/c0d0p2              27        1054     4194240   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/cciss/c0d0p3            1055       35139   139066800   83  Linux

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hm, the SWAP partition is recognized properly

-->    <partition number="2" type="primary" isActive="false" fileSystemType="linux-swap">
-->     <device path="/dev/cciss/c0d0p2" major="104" minor="2"/>
-->     <lba start="212160" length="8388480" end="8600639"/>
-->    </partition>

However, there is no volume that is corresponding to this partition. The only recognized volumes are "/" and "/boot" (no swap). Is this swap partition activated?

Converter is detecting the active SWAP partitions through iterating /proc/swaps file. What is the output of

# cat /proc/swaps

on the source?

Message was edited by: ivivanov

Updated the partition info pasted from the log with the "right" wrong partition 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hm, this is strange, it should work... can you export a log bundle of the conversion task?

grp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Since it produces a lot of logs, could you please let me know which file you want?

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The worker and the helper logs are most useful. There should be an XML output in it describing the detected source machine configuration (specifically recognized volumes).

grp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am not sure this is the log of the conversion I did yesterday, I did another one today and stopped it. But it should give the picture. I couldn't find the helper log.

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hm, the SWAP partition is recognized properly

-->    <partition number="2" type="primary" isActive="false" fileSystemType="linux-swap">
-->     <device path="/dev/cciss/c0d0p2" major="104" minor="2"/>
-->     <lba start="212160" length="8388480" end="8600639"/>
-->    </partition>

However, there is no volume that is corresponding to this partition. The only recognized volumes are "/" and "/boot" (no swap). Is this swap partition activated?

Converter is detecting the active SWAP partitions through iterating /proc/swaps file. What is the output of

# cat /proc/swaps

on the source?

Message was edited by: ivivanov

Updated the partition info pasted from the log with the "right" wrong partition 🙂

grp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are right. There was an issue with the label name in fstab and it was not activated. Sorry for this. Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you for your message. I am currently out of the office and will return Nov 26.

For support related issues please contact the IT Service Desk servicedesk@camhydro.com or x2700.

Thank you

Heath

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos