VMware Cloud Community
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Converter agent installed on target machine

Guys,

I am experimenting with the converter 3.02 and have come up with some questions.

My goal is to bring some of the important servers that are on production and convert them to an image so we can test them on our test network for DR, etc.

During the convert process, besides the agent being installed on the target machine, are there any other stuff that will be installed? My concern is that it might make the target server unstable. Does the target server need a reboot (ie, windows 2003, 2000)?

I have choosen "Automatically uninstalled the files when import succeeds. It is running as we speak.

TIA,

Tnt

0 Kudos
14 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

AFAIK, nothing else gets installed other than the agent. I am already using Livestate for imaging so I normally try to convert the Livestate image instead. This eliminates the installation of the Converter agent.

That said, if the conversion of the Livestate failes, I will run Converter on the physical machine, either through a workstation or directly on the machine being converted. I've done several dozen conversions. (I stopped counting after 40.) I've not experienced any isses with the Converter agent. Because most of the conversions I'm doing are for DR & testing purposes, I usually leave Converter installed on the physical machine. Me personally, I'm not worried about the Converter agent.

As far as rebooting, Windows 2000 will require a reboot during the install of Converter. XP & 2003 do not require a reboot. However, sometimes a conversion will fail and a reboot just before the conversion fixes that.

0 Kudos
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

asatoran,

Thank you for responding.

I was able to image an Windows XP Professional and bring it into my VM Server. The imaging process didn't require a reboot.

I do notice my new "virutal" machine has an IP address of 169.24.134.114. Is there an option where I can specify to not alter my IP address (my test lan and live network has the same IP schema, but on different switches). I choose bridge at the converter menu if that helps in what I might have done wrong :).

Thanks,

Tnt

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

The IP address is because during the conversion, a new NIC is installed, as far as Windows is concerned. The virtual NIC is connected and the original physical NIC that Windows saw does not exist anymore. If you were to replace your NIC on your physical machine, you'd get similar symptoms.

I think you can choose Customize the Identity of the virtual Machine in Step 3 to run sysprep. That should give you options for networking. For static IP machines, I find it's just as easy to manually set the IP after the conversion. YMMV. An alternate method we used in a few instances was to configure the DHCP server for a MAC address reservation. The MAC address of your VM is in the .VMX file. We used that to issue a specific IP address to the new VM so that even without sysprep, the converted machine still got the same IP address.

0 Kudos
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your response again. Probably changing the static IP manually is the easiest option.

Just to confirm again that using the converter to grab the image will not affect servers such as exchange 2003, sql, or domain controllers (windows 2003) that are in production (besides it being windows 2000 that needs a reboot).

Thanks,

Tnt

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Ideally, try to shut down as many services as possible during conversion (i.e.:SQL, Exchange) Normally, it would be better to not convert a DC, but create a new VM and DCPROMO it to become a DC.

That said, on small single server networks, I have successfully converted a single Win2k & Win2k3 server that was a DC and running Exchange and SQL. But I do the conversion after hours or schedule a day of downtime while I run the conversion.

There are no guarantees of course, so if the converted machine will be put back into production, I would recommend you check your data carefully after the conversion. My normal procedure is to do a full backup of Exchange, SQL and whatever other apps, then do the conversion, and restore the data in to the virtual machine if necessary.

0 Kudos
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

asatoran,

You seem to know this topic very well :). Most of the machines that I plan to convert will not be put back into production, but rather for testing. The "convert" scares me. I am thinking that once it is converted to an image, the physical machine (that the image was copied off) will no longer be good for production.

On a side note, I do have a windows 2000 member server that I like to get an image of and bring it back into production. What do I need to do to make sure the sid doesn't conflict with the live machine one that I copied off from (besides renaming the machine name & changing the IP address). Running sysprep by by choosing "custom" during converter menu as stated?

Thanks a lot again.

Tnt

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

asatoran,

You seem to know this topic very well :). Most of the machines that I plan to convert will not be put back into production, but rather for testing. The "convert" scares me. I am thinking that once it is converted to an image, the physical machine (that the image was copied off) will no longer be good for production.

Converter takes a snapshot image of the physical source server. Similar to Ghost or Trueimage. It does not alter physical source server durning the imaging. So the physical machine continues on it's merry way.

On a side note, I do have a windows 2000 member server that I like to get an image of and bring it back into production. What do I need to do to make sure the sid doesn't conflict with the live machine one that I copied off from (besides renaming the machine name & changing the IP address). Running sysprep by by choosing "custom" during converter menu as stated?

You want to just convert to a virtual machine? Or are you making a duplicate and want both the physical and virtual on the same production network at the same time? Above you state that you are doing this for testing. If what you want is to make a copy of the member server, leave the original in production and use the copy for testing, then yes that is possible. This is what I do all the time. My test network is isolated from my production network. So I have exact virtual copies of most of my servers. Because the networks are isolated from each other, there's no need in my case to change SID, machine name or IP address. In fact, I want them to be the same because I'm simulating the original network. But that's just my requirements.

When I convert a machine to virtual and put the virtual in production, I do so because I'm usually replacing the physical machine. They physical machine is removed from the network permanently so again, no issue with identical SID, machine name or IP address.

If you're trying to make multiple copies of an existing server because you want to use the source server as a template, then yes, you would use sysprep. Same as if you used Ghost or Trueimage to copy the HD of one server and put the copied HD into another server, then started up both servers. Now you have duplicate SID / name / IP unless you use sysprep. I don't have much experince with sysprep because fortunately for me, my networks are small and nost of the servers are not clustered so there's not much need to roll out standardized servers.

HTH, otherwise post again. :smileyblush:

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry, duplicate post due to "Gateway timeout error."

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry again. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Very sorry again.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Really very sorry again. :smileyshocked:

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

:_|

0 Kudos
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Noticed website had a problem.

Like I said, most of my copied images will be going into a different network for testing.

There is one physical machine that I like to copy the image off of and put that image into a virtual machine in the production network (same network as the physical machine that I copied the image from). It will be for testing but in a production network. So the result is I have one physical machine and one virutal machine on the same network.

Tnt

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

There is one physical machine that I like to copy the image off of and put that image into a virtual machine in the production network

Then you have no choice except sysprep or create a new virtual machine and install whatever apps you want. Depending on the complexity of this machine, if reinstalling the apps is not too much work, it may be just as well to create a new virtual machine, install the apps and restore the data in to the new virtual machine. I've done that for a few small SQL virtual servers for various reasons.

0 Kudos