VMware Cloud Community
BadrMepco
Contributor
Contributor

Converter Standalone

Hi,

I have VM (Exchange) along with attached Raw LUN. I am using ESXi 5.0U2

My question that is that can I convert this VM (Offline) The Raw Lun will be including in this conversion or not?

Regards,

Badr

0 Kudos
22 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

What do you need do ? Migrate of DataStore your VM ? Do V2V ?
Explain with more details please.

Thanks

Discussion moved from Backup & Recovery to Converter
*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Hey Badr,

The work "offline" is not very clear. Do you mean you want to convert the Virtual Machine while the VM is powered off or do you mean that the Exchange Services are taken offline?

A conversion with the VM powered off will not work as converter would not be able to connect to the VM for conversion to take place. On the other had, if the Exchange Services are taken offline (which is what is recommended either ways) the conversion can happen.

Again, what is the end result of the conversion? I am assuming you want to convert exchange to a VM rather than a backup or some other process in mind?

So the easiest way would be to convert the C: drive and then detach the RDM from the Exchange machine and present the LUN out to the ESX cluster. Then you can re-attach the LUN as an RDM to the same VM

If the end result is to convert the RDM to a VMDK then you can use converter to convert the RDM to a VMDK or another way would be to attach the RDM to the VM after conversion, ensure it is in physical compatibility more and do a SV Motion to another datastore

Regards

a

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Sorry missed the link

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2012/02/physical-rdm-to-vmdk-migration-feature.html

http://www.virtualclouds.info/?p=2122

Here you go

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
BadrMepco
Contributor
Contributor

Hey a,

I tired to take backup of exchange via converter while exchange services stopped but it gives error. "Unkndown Exception"

This Exchange (VM) is on the SAN and I want to take backup through converter in another location e.g. Personal Hard Disk.

Can it be posible while VM is offline? Raw Lun is in the same folder as a second VMDK.

OR is there any other way to take entire VM machine backup including Raw LUN VMDK in desired location?

Regards,

Badr.

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Unknown error?

That's not very informative. What version converter is this? RDM is it in virtual or physical compatibility mode? Does the conversion happen if you select just one disc -say the C drive at a time?

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Besides, if the end result is you want a backup, why even bother using converter? There are dedicated bacup and restore programs that can do the job  more efficiently and with less pain involved!

0 Kudos
BadrMepco
Contributor
Contributor

Converter version is 5.0.1

see attached error while I tried to convert it.

RDM is Virtual see second attached image.

What method you like to use about to take backup with less pain? If it is VDR so it take backup only on the SAN Datastore that I do not want.

I tried Veeam but it also gives error for the Exchange.

I want to take backup on personal hard disk except the attached datastorage.

Regards,

Badr.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please upload log bundle to investigate error. Thanks

0 Kudos
BadrMepco
Contributor
Contributor

Hi POCEH,

Please find attached log of converter.

Waiting to hear you soon.

Regards,

Badr.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

These are only GUI logs... we need server/worker/agent logs. How you export logs? Need to select failed task and choose Export Logs from context menu.

0 Kudos
BadrMepco
Contributor
Contributor

Dear POCEH,

I selected field and when I clciked to Export Logs after 99% it gives this attached first picture error and than I clicked OK then it asks to saves log files as second picture and it saved that is attached again.

Kindly let me know what i have to do? I tried several time to this but same.

Waitnig for action.

Regards,

Badr.

0 Kudos
BadrMepco
Contributor
Contributor

I tried another field it give this attached third error.

0 Kudos
BadrMepco
Contributor
Contributor

Dear POCEH,

Also I found this attached alert in vCenter Services Health.

how I can remove it?

Is this happening because of this or not?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The integrated Converter is different from standalone Converter. Probably you need to uninstall *all* converters and made a clean install, then try again (with latest Converter 5.0.1). HTH

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Worker logs can be found at %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMware\VMware vCenter  Converter Standalone\logs. Look for vmware-converter-worker-###.log

The message in health status is about the integrated converter (4.2 probably?). Since you have had successful conversions with standalone 5.0.1, I suppose you can ignore it for now.

HTH

Plamen

0 Kudos
BadrMepco
Contributor
Contributor

Dear POCEH,

But I am able to convert all other VMs except the Exchange VM.

Why getting problem only for this alone VM?

Any Idea?

0 Kudos
BadrMepco
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Plamen,

I found log file in the user profile.

that is attached.

Dear POCEH,

Kindly fidn attached logs and and let me know the problem please.

regards,

Badr.

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Hi Badr,

First and foremost, thank you for the logs and the screenshots.

A couple of things which you have mentioned needs a little clarity

I tried Veeam but it also gives error for the Exchange.

I want to take backup on personal hard disk except the attached datastorage.

Now, if Veeam is also failing to take a backup for this one server, then we need to first figure out what error is that, as it could very well be related for all I know.

When you say you want to take a backup "except the attached datastore" do you mean you want a backup of only the RDM? Are backups for the VMDK files working fine?

Error I see in the server logs is this

2013-02-14T22:47:45.016+03:00 [06128 error 'Default'] [task,350] [LRO] Unexpected Exception: converter.fault.CloneFault
2013-02-14T22:47:45.029+03:00 [06128 info 'Default'] [task,379] [task-22] -- ERROR -- Convert: converter.fault.CloneFault
--> (converter.fault.CloneFault) {
-->    dynamicType = <unset>,
-->    faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,
-->    description = "Unknown exception",
-->    msg = "",
--> }

Can you try suggestions in the below KB and let me know if this helps?

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1034292

Also let me know the following

1. Do you see any errors in the Windows Event View logs at the time the conversion fails?
  2. Could converter be installed on the Exchange Server directly and checked?
  3. For the destination machine option choose VMware Workstation or any other option that can save data on the local filesystem or shared drive and check?

Regards

a

0 Kudos
BadrMepco
Contributor
Contributor

I am sorry, but i also find somewhere else that is attached with others.

Kindly check these all attached I hope you will find results.

Regards,

Badr.

0 Kudos