VMware Cloud Community
tafkap95210
Contributor
Contributor

Converter Standalone: Convert Workstation 16 Pro virtual machine to ESXi 6.5

Hello, I have been desperately trying for several days to transfer my Workstation 16 Pro VM to my ESXi 6.5.

I tried possibility 1 of the article https://www.ubackup.com/enterprise-backup/move-vmware-workstation-vm-to-esxi.amp.html

But when I want to create the VM from the OVF file I get an "Invalid configuration for device 0" error.

I looked on the Net and it is advisable to go through the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone tool, which I did but I also have an error that I do not understand: "Invalid configuration for device '2'" . What exactly is this device 2? And what can I do?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Dumb it down !!!
ESXi 6.5 does not understand your complicated vmx-file - so simplify it and make it look easier.
If necessary show us your vmx.

Ulli

0 Kudos
tafkap95210
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

good idea, find attached my vmx file. 

Thanks a lot for your help 😉

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Try that one

0 Kudos
tafkap
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thank you for your help, i will try it this evening, I'm going to repeat the whole procedure to make sure I'm doing things right.

0 Kudos
tafkap95210
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, sorry for the delay, i was very busy lately and needed to take a few vacations as well, really sorry 🙂

I replaced the vmx file with yours, I opened the image in Workstation 16 (Hardware Compatibility: Workstation 10.x virtual machine), then from the menu I did VM/Manage/Upload, I choose my ESXi 6.5 server, I select my datastore then when I click on Finish I have the following error message: "S4H2021 is a Workstation 10.x virtual machine, which is not supported by pc-33481.home. Choose another host or change the hardware version of the virtual machine to one of the following options:."

I don't know what to do, it's annoying

In advance, thanks for any help 😉

0 Kudos