VMware Cloud Community
rorkijon
Contributor
Contributor

Converter Standalone Agent installation failed : Error Code 1622 - Windows NT4 SP6

After several attempts at virtualising an old Dell PE 1400, running NT4 SP6, with version 3.02.x of VMWware Converter, unsucessfully, I'm now trying version 4.0.0.0 of the standalone converter software - VMware vCenter Converter Standalone.

With the previous version I could at least get the Agent installed on NT, select the drives (had to break mirrors), and it went through the motions for an hour or so creating the drive space on my local drive but eventually failing.

With the new version however, I don't even get that far - does anyone know what the error 1622 means? I can't install V4 directly on NT4 it seems, and maybe that's part of the issue, but I DID read somewhere that it was intended that V4 would allow a hot-clone of NT4. I don't believe I can get a copy of the Cold P2V CD unless I purchase Virtual Centre.

I see others have had various issues once they've performed the P2V but I can only HOPE to get that far.

Hope there's some bright spark here who can help, thanks in advance,

Jon.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 4.0 doesn't support Windows NT conversions. It also doesn't support installation on NT machines.

0 Kudos
RAC_Consulting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you confirm lack of support for NT4? The Converter documentation says that NT4 is a supported source system.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I am assuming you too are referring to Converter 4.0. Windows NT4 SP6+ is supported as VM source. NOT as a powered on machine. Please look at Powered-On Machine Conversion Limitations section in the Converter 4.0 user guide.

0 Kudos
RAC_Consulting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am assuming you are a vmware employee so hopefully Im not wasting your time if you are

not...but,

The converter overview states support for NT4 with no caveats. So I downloaded, installed

and...wasted my time. Yes, the datasheet and maybe the user guide (which I could not

locate on any of the converter product pages) states this limitation, but because of the

explicit statement of support for NT on the overview, I did not dig further before pursing

converter...

Thanks.

Richard Corn

RAC Consulting

P.O. Box 12299, Olympia, WA. 98508 USA

(360) 357-9572 fax: (360) 352-8453

email: rac@racc.com web: www.racc.com

0 Kudos