VMware Cloud Community
Component1
Contributor
Contributor

Converter Standalone 6.1 for Windows Server 2003 32 bit

Hi,

I read the v 6.1 manual about the "supported guest OS", where Server 2003 is not listed, however version 6.0 listed yet.

Is anybody can confirm if I can move Windows Server 2003 works with 6.1 (even if it's not supported) ? I can't change the Server - I know that Seerver 2016 is out, but legacy CNC machine works only with that old buddy Smiley Sad

Prior thanks.

Pal

27 Replies
Component1
Contributor
Contributor

Szia Plamen,

Your guideline is perfect with changing the expression at <Reconfiguration name="LsiLogic">. I decided to use "GenericWindows7"

This step helped me to get over the 96% failed situation. Now the converter finishes at 100%.

The size of the VM is about 100 GB and its located on a far server. I made the conversion via a really slow RDP Connection; with 1 M ADSL nowodays Smiley Sad Crazy, ah?

So I asked the local tech guy to attach one USB HDD to copy the successfully converted VMDK and the VMX file and bring it to me by the end of the week.

I'll try to run that VM immediately to see if starts ok or BSOD. I'll be back  to you to share the rest.

Till that time have a wonderful day:)

Regards,

Pal

Component1
Contributor
Contributor

Szia Plamen,

Got the HDD and opened the successfully converted VMDK. Result is BSOD, which restarts always until shutdown VM.

I tried different settings in Properties, like 3D acceleration off and changing the cores, but still no good result. I'M tring soon the option B, which is your second idea, but I lost with that sentence: "Load Hive" in Registry editor. I have only "import", export" and connect to a "netwok object" functions under File menu.

Also I have no idea which driver could crash and needs to be deleted to perc700 raid controller.

Could you please instruct me to achive this last step?

Prior megathanks,

Pal

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Szia Pal,

It must be that 'Load hive' is a newer functionality, from a later Windows version. Not sure whether that would work (if the registry binary format is not changed - it should), can you try to attach the vmdk to a newer Windows (7 has it for sure, 2k8 perhaps too)?

I don't know the driver name, but if you manage to attach the registry, searching for 'perc h700' in it may get you some hint.

Crossing fingers,

Plamen

0 Kudos
Component1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Plamen,

So now I have time to play with it. I tried to load hive, but somehow wondows 10 Enterprise doesn't see the mapped X: drive.

However Windows explorer and Total Commander can see without any problem. I "Mapped" the drive as you said.

I run regedit as administrator. VM is located on "E" drive, mapped it's C: drive as a phisical drive to see the files on them, therefore X: is visible.

I tried in HKEY_Local_machine and HKEY_User. Same Smiley Sad. May be I forgot something...I sent you a jpg about the situation.

Please advise. Prior thanks.

Regards,

Pal

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi again,

I thought it was a conversion to ESXi, that's why I was thinking to mount form another VM. It is OK from Workstation, too. I suppose you map the vmdk in a way something like that?

This should be fine. I tried that with a 2k3 VM. Windows10 can't load the registry hive but Windows7 can.

0 Kudos
Component1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Plamen,

I travelled 50 miles for a Win7 Enterprise edition to check the solution. That Windows 7 could not open hive from drive X neither Smiley Sad

Any other idea? Do I need to find an XP machine? Or may be wrong with the procedure?

Prior thanks,

Pal

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Pal,

I am sorry you had to go through this hassle, didn't expect that. Let me reiterate - this is not a supported scenario and I was just thinking of possible hacks to work around. I've tried loading a registry hive of a w2k3 vm in w10 and it didn't work, then it worked from w7. That's all.

The idea of the hack is to remove the raid driver's entries from the registry and then cross fingers Windows will be able to configure itself with the virtual hardware. Loading the hive from another windows machine was just the first idea that came to my mind about how to tweak that registry.

A short googling with "fix registry unbootable windows" yields this: 4 Ways to Edit Registry Key Values Without Booting into Windows • Raymond.CC. I have tried neither. Perhaps there are other ways, too.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
Component1
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Plamen,

I got another Win7 machine where I was able to load hive from the mapped "X:" drive. I killed all related entries for the PERCH700 RAID controller and deleted the drivers as well.

Still blue screen upon booting, so I give up.

Many thanks for your and others comprehensive support in this topic. I can confirm, that Raid controllr under Windows 2003 Server R2 is not an option to convert this way.

Have a nice weekend.

Regards,

Pal

0 Kudos