VMware Cloud Community
Component1
Contributor
Contributor

Converter Standalone 6.1 for Windows Server 2003 32 bit

Hi,

I read the v 6.1 manual about the "supported guest OS", where Server 2003 is not listed, however version 6.0 listed yet.

Is anybody can confirm if I can move Windows Server 2003 works with 6.1 (even if it's not supported) ? I can't change the Server - I know that Seerver 2016 is out, but legacy CNC machine works only with that old buddy Smiley Sad

Prior thanks.

Pal

27 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

It should work. To my knowledge there are no code changes that prevent it, 2k3 is not supported as source mainly because it is not supported as OS anymore. Give it a try.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
Component1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Plamen,

I'll test tomorrow hopefully. I'll get back with the result.

Regards,

Pal

0 Kudos
Component1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Plamen,

I just could not wait so long so I tried. I used remote desktop to install and run the standalone converter.

I made all required steps. C and D drives were successfully cloned  (as the log stated) and at 96 % has failed.

Any idea?

Prior thanks,

Pal96_error_converter.jpg

"FAILED: Unable to reconfigure the destination virtual machine."

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Pal,

You may try to only reconfigure the destination VM. Click on 'configure machine' in Converter. If it doesn't work, try to reconfigure with an older converter. If that also doesn't work, post the log bundle.

HTH,

Plamen

0 Kudos
Component1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

only reconfigure gave the same message Smiley Sad I published a log file, hopefully you can find in your private access.

Now I'm trying to download v 6.0 to see if works. Will let you know.

Regards,

Pal

0 Kudos
Component1
Contributor
Contributor

Installed 6.0 did the same conversion error at 96%. Will see if reconfigure will work at least....

Till that time could you please have a look at the previously attached log with 6.1.1 what went wrong?

Prior thanks,

Pal

0 Kudos
Component1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I tried the Converter 6.0 wit reconfigure option, gave the same message.

So I guess that I missed something which is not documented or other issue happened.

My topology is: 2 Windows Server 2003 R2 sit somewhere in my lab. One is only for diskspace to save the VM file for Converter, Directory is shared to be able to store the VM file. The other Windows 2003 Server R2 is doing the conversion, like online (converts itself) conversion. They connceted via 1G Ethernet.

Old Server hardware is Dell R510 in both cases with PERC H700 RAID controller.

Any ide is welcome.

Prior thanks.

Pal

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Szia Pal,

It seems this causes the error:

2017-10-20T09:57:23.632+02:00 error vmware-converter-worker[06472] [Originator@6876 sub=task-10] Could not find symmpi.sys in \\.\vstor2-mntapi20-shared-80000000000010000000000029000000\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab

2017-10-20T09:57:23.648+02:00 error vmware-converter-worker[06472] [Originator@6876 sub=task-10] Unable to find symmpi.sys in the specified CAB files

2017-10-20T09:57:23.648+02:00 error vmware-converter-worker[06472] [Originator@6876 sub=task-10] Reconfiguration failed with: converter.fault.FileNotFound

symmpi.sys is the driver for LSI Logic disk controller. It should normally be part of the Windows installation. Does the source machine have no service pack installed? This might be the cause (I remember XP 32 bit didn't have support for LSI Logic, not sure about 2003; suspect it might have been added by some later service pack). Can you upgrade the source to SP2? It is generally advised to do so.

Eventually another way should be to change the controller to BusLogic before conversion (not sure this would work, but you can try).

HTH,

Plamen

0 Kudos
Component1
Contributor
Contributor

Szervusz Plamen,

Thanks for the detailed info. The system is Server 2003 R2 with SP2 installed. So I guess the driver should be there, otherwise windows couldn't recognise the raid controller inside the device manager (I guess). The control panel > device manager listed "DELL PERC H700 SCSI Disk Device". In reality it is a SAS Raid controller with up to 8 SAS disks. We created only one RAID1 Volume, which works fine. So I'll try to change the controller. First with option "reconfigure". If will not work then I'll create a new "creation" with different controller: BuSlogic. Hope it will be fine.

I'll be back soon.

Regards,

Pal

0 Kudos
Component1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Plamen,

Same situ. Bus Logic did not help. I send a new log.

I'll try soon the "Workstation 10" version, if windows 2003 server suits for older version..

I attached the new log, if you could find if some other info.

Prior thanks,

Pali

0 Kudos
Component1
Contributor
Contributor

Szia Plamen,

Same. It could be your point. That drivers or files are not present in that driver directory (c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\). Do you have some files at your side to share with me for W2K3 R2 SP2?

It would be nice to get it.

Prior thanks,

Pal

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

could you please try to inject the scsi drivers in the source physical box and try and convert again.

Injecting SCSI controller device drivers into Windows when it fails to boot after converting it with...

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
Component1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Hussainbte,

On that link I faced with missing Windows 2003 Server file, mentioned: LSI Logic disk controller driver. I do not have that to inject in to the source 2003 server. That server has PERC H700 raid controller, lsi disk file (sys) is not on that machine. I don't have any other W2K3 server to copy such file.

Could you please email me that file? Afer I can inject it.

Prior thanks.

Regards,

Pal

0 Kudos
Component1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Hussainbte,

The injevtion said (and "I comment it"):

• Power on a working virtual machine running Windows 2003. "can't as I do not have yet"
  • Copy the LSI Logic disk controller driver file located at %systemroot%\system32\drivers\symmpi.sys to the source for the conversion. "this is what I need"
  • Copy the VMware SCSI disk controller device driver file (if present) located in %systemroot%\system32\drivers\vmscsi.sys to the source for the conversion.
  • Click Start > Run, type regedit, and press Enter.
  • Browse to and export these registry keys: "This also can't as I don't have source to copy from"

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\symmpi
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\
      pci#ven_1000&dev_0030
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vmscsi
    Note: The vmscsi service registry key may not exist if VMware Tools is not installed on the virtual machine.

I hope is mor clear whaer I stand...:(

regards,

Pal

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

Hi ..

Im sorry but even I dont have a 2003 server in my lab..

what you can do is install a new one.. and get the drivers from there..

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
Component1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

That's the issue. Working and licensed CNC server is located on that W2K3 Server. That's what I want to virtualize.

I know that I'm in trouble, but I commited to solve, so if someone has a W2K3 Server R2 SP installation just could send me that files and the registry export I would thank you.

Prior thanks,

Pal

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi again

So it is probably the RAID controller that causes the issue. RAID are not supported by Converter (User Guide p.23). It is quite possible if the reconfiguration gets past the symmpi.sys issue and completes syccessfully, that the VM BSODs.

I am thinking of a couple if hacks. I guarantee neither, these are rather wild guesses and you should take care not to break your system.

First the hack to circumvent the reconfiguration failure:

- Go to the folder where converter is installed (i.e. %ProgramFiles(x86)%\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone) and find a file names "reconfigurationDataStore.dat". Make a backup copy of it. This is an xml file.

- Open it in an editor and look for

<Reconfiguration name="LsiLogic">

- In the "Expression" subnode change the value of "expression" from "GenericWin2k3" to e.g. "GenericWindows7". The idea is that the action is not triggered.

- Restart the converter services (worker and server)

- Retry the reconfiguration.

- Do not use this state of converter for other conversions! Revert reconfigurationDataStore.dat and restart the services before starting other conversions.

If you are lucky, the reconfiguration eventually will succeed. Try to power on the converted VM. If it starts fine, open the champagne 🙂

If it BSODs, you may try the following workaround:

- Identify the RAID driver(s) as well the registry entries related to them.

- Attach the converter VM vmdk files to some other Windows VM. Map its C: volume in that other VM. Let's assume for the discussion it is mapped to X:

- Remove the RAID driver(s) (should be in X:\Windows\System32\drivers)

- Open the registry hive in registry editor, i.e. in registry editor, in 'File 'menu, select 'Load Hive' and search for X:\Windows\System32\Config\SYSTEM.

- Search for these drivers and remove related entries.

- Unload hive,

- Unmount volume,

- Dettach vmdk.

- Boot the converted VM and cross fingers.

HTH,

Plamen

P.S. In these do not work, I am short of ideas.

hussainbte
Expert
Expert

can you not build a new VM and install 2003 by mounting the ISO..?

else we will have to wait for some to share it with us on the forum..

0 Kudos
Component1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi hussainbte,

as it stated before I can't create a new one as all the CNC licenses are on that particular W2K3 Server 😞

So I would virtualize it before finally crash.

Plamen gave me some instruction, I'll share it soon.

Regards,

Pal

0 Kudos