VMware Cloud Community
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Converter Rights / Permissions

Does anyone know exactly what rights and permissions a user needs in order to complete a P2V migration using VMware Converter? I know assiging a user to the Admin role will work but I'd rather make a dedicated role.

Jason

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/VMware_Converter_manual303.pdf

>Configuring Permissions for VirtualCenter Users

>To convert virtual machines to VirtualCenter with Converter, you must have the following VirtualCenter permissions set at the datacenter level:

>/> Datastore > Browse Datastore

>/> Virtual Machine > Inventory and Virtual Machine > Configuration

>/> Virtual Machine > Interaction > Power On (needed only if you choose to power on the target virtual machine after conversion)

>/> Virtual Machine > Provisioning > Allow Disk Access

>/> Resource > Assign Virtual Machine To Resource Pool

>For more information about setting permissions, see the VMware Infrastructure

EvilOne

1 - Check the documents

2 - Search the forums

3 - Post Question

And remember to award points to those who assist you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/VMware_Converter_manual303.pdf

>Configuring Permissions for VirtualCenter Users

>To convert virtual machines to VirtualCenter with Converter, you must have the following VirtualCenter permissions set at the datacenter level:

>/> Datastore > Browse Datastore

>/> Virtual Machine > Inventory and Virtual Machine > Configuration

>/> Virtual Machine > Interaction > Power On (needed only if you choose to power on the target virtual machine after conversion)

>/> Virtual Machine > Provisioning > Allow Disk Access

>/> Resource > Assign Virtual Machine To Resource Pool

>For more information about setting permissions, see the VMware Infrastructure

EvilOne

1 - Check the documents

2 - Search the forums

3 - Post Question

And remember to award points to those who assist you.

0 Kudos
spex
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I want to offer every vm owner the right to export his machine for long term backup of a special machine state/configuration and can not Ifind docs for vc integrated converter regarding user rights. The user should be able to export his machine to local disk. Import isn't necessary because this could be requested by our central operating.

Regards, Spex

0 Kudos
gbullochdst
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As per the above post, I am also trying to do this. I am setting permissions at the folder level and I have done some experimentation with a custom role configuration and even if I give full access at the folder level, the user still cannot export a VM using VMware Converter Standalone which gives the error message;

unable to obtain hardware information for the selected machine

Anyone had any success with this? I suspect I need to set permissions at a different level in the hierarchy in addition to VM specific permissions at the folder level?

0 Kudos