VMware Cloud Community
dilidolo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Converter Helper IP and VLAN

I'm trying to convert a RHEL 5.0 machine to VM. In Helper IP configuration, there is no place to define what VLAN the helper network should be in.

The physical machine is on VLAN 20, the new VM will be on VLAN 30. The network is tag based VLAN only and we don't have DHCP server on the network.

Anyone has an idea how to make it work?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmweathers
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The HelperVM runs within the target VM, so it has the same network (VLAN 30 in your case). The User Guide has some wording explaining this as well.

Since you do not have DHCP service in VLAN 30 you can configure a static IP for the HelperVM. It's an option in the 3rd page of the Converter Wizard.

Keep in mind that the HelperVM contacts the source over SSH, so you need to have your routing and firewalling configured to allow this.

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmweathers
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The HelperVM runs within the target VM, so it has the same network (VLAN 30 in your case). The User Guide has some wording explaining this as well.

Since you do not have DHCP service in VLAN 30 you can configure a static IP for the HelperVM. It's an option in the 3rd page of the Converter Wizard.

Keep in mind that the HelperVM contacts the source over SSH, so you need to have your routing and firewalling configured to allow this.

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)
0 Kudos
dilidolo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help, I think I figured out why it didn't work, it's selinux.

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

selinux is an add-on feature of linux, not a distro in-and-of-itself. We have tested it and it works with Linux P2V in the default fedora configuration.

dilidolo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found in log file it prevents to write some sysinfo file. I disabled it and converter works. Could be other things broken in the source machine.

0 Kudos
dilidolo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I didn't select the host but the cluster, so when I select VLAN in the gust config, it was on another host.

Thanks a lot.

Edit, one more update. I used the same helper IP for the new VM I create, it fails. If I use a new IP, then it works. I think it has to do with arp cache on switch. When I create a new VM, mac address changes but if I assign the same helper IP, it will not work.

0 Kudos