VMware Cloud Community
nbranch1311
Contributor
Contributor

Converter Help, I am not that good.

Hi I have seen people get help about this subject a lot but I can not get this to work.

FAILED: Unable to find the system volume, reconfiguration is not possible.

I dont quite get the solutions since I am not as computer savvy as the rest.

I am trying to convert my windows xp into a vm so I can run it in VMware Fusion 3.x Around 96% it fails with the error posted up above. I dont know what other info you need to help me but please tell me EXACTLY what I need to do fix this. I attached the diagnostics.

I really hope you can help me out. Thank you for your time.

FAILED: Unable to find the system volume, reconfiguration is not possible.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Welcome to the Community.

I found follow kb http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101799...

Here say:

Troubleshooting Common Issues

Unable to find the system volume, reconfiguration is not possible or Error opening boot.ini file boot.ini for reading

These  errors indicate a problem with the boot.ini file on your system that  must be resolved. For instructions, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base  article 289022.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
nbranch1311
Contributor
Contributor

Yes this did help but I still had a problem. I dont know how to modify the boot.ini

I think I did it but I am not sure. I just went to the boot.ini in my C: drive and changed it to match the appropriate loader. But it didnt work. I still get the same error.

What are the steps I should take to fix this?

I have Windows XP Professional, it is my work computer and it is OBI'ed

0 Kudos